Intermittent Sluggish Trans Shifting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '93 80 Series. Sometimes it shifts just as you would expect. Sometimes in exhibits a weird shifting issue. When it has an issue it is in the lower gears. As I accelerate the vehicle feels like there is something robbing its power. As I increase the throttle more and more there isn't much of a response and it continues to accelerate sluggishly. Finally after enough throttle and time it will shift into a higher gear and appear to behave normally. Sometimes there isn't an issue at all. It seems as though the issue is more common when the trans hasn't warmed up for the day.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks for the help.

check your fluid first if it hasn’t been changed in a while. It could be the solenoids are going. The transmission troubleshooting in the FSM is your friend. Lots of good info. The manual shift test will let you know if it’s the solenoids.

As previously mentioned, check your trans fluid using the proper procedure. Also do a few drain and refill's using Amsoil ATF, it greatly improved my shifting like new and buttery smooth (i had new Toyota atf before doing amsoil), make sure you buy a new trans drain plug and replace the old one, its technically a 1 time use item.

I'm assuming you checked the throttle and transmission cables? I had a similar issue when shifting from 1st to 2nd but was fine shifting from 2nd to third, and back down... it was rough going from 1st to 2nd all the time though. After I adjusted the cables and the issue stopped...I believe there is a play by play post on here with the "how to"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom