Interior Rattle/Squeak Attenuation: Best Practices? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When new, our vehicles were as silent running as any Los Angeles Class attack submarine.

It was almost spooky quiet when I test drove my 100 Series in 1998... especially compared to my old 62 Series.

But – like us - as vehicles age they develop interior creaks, rattles and squeaks.

My guess is the plastic panels shrink and become more brittle. Built-up vehicles’ greater suspension stiffness probably contributes as well.

While I’ve always listened for rattles and thought I was doing pretty well at keeping them at bay, they suddenly became much more pronounced after a recent addition of hearing aids to my repertoire of physical crutches designed to counteract some of the more disconcerting aspects of aging.

Would those who have “tightened-up” their interiors or otherwise have kept their interiors rattle-free please share your processes?

Just removing a panel can result in a rattle upon re-installation due to fasteners working best upon first use, not repeated. I’d like to know that whatever “improvement” I try, that the final result doesn’t sound worse than it was originally.

This isn’t related to exterior (suspension, engine) noises or increasing sound-deadening via added matting/insulation. Just want to know what works best to alleviate interior rattles & squeaks.

Cheers!

My LX is a rattle trap, meaning every panel rattles. This is from stiff suspension. Best practices is to replace every rubber bushing and insulator. I.e. trans mount, engine mount, all control arm bushings, body mount isolators, exhaust isolators. Not easy job.

3rd row seat delete will remove some squeaks. :). I’ve found that keeping a nice light set of tires on the truck tends to help keep the inside quiet. I think overtime, stiff tires tend to loosen things up.

I use thin double sided tape between the mating surfaces.

It worked wonders for the squeaks and rattles around my instrument binnacle, and will get applied to the door cards the next time I have them off.

Cheap and easy.

When new, our vehicles were as silent running as any Los Angeles Class attack submarine.

It was almost spooky quiet when I test drove my 100 Series in 1998... especially compared to my old 62 Series.

But – like us - as vehicles age they develop interior creaks, rattles and squeaks.

My guess is the plastic panels shrink and become more brittle. Built-up vehicles’ greater suspension stiffness probably contributes as well.

While I’ve always listened for rattles and thought I was doing pretty well at keeping them at bay, they suddenly became much more pronounced after a recent addition of hearing aids to my repertoire of physical crutches designed to counteract some of the more disconcerting aspects of aging.

Would those who have “tightened-up” their interiors or otherwise have kept their interiors rattle-free please share your processes?

Just removing a panel can result in a rattle upon re-installation due to fasteners working best upon first use, not repeated. I’d like to know that whatever “improvement” I try, that the final result doesn’t sound worse than it was originally.

This isn’t related to exterior (suspension, engine) noises or increasing sound-deadening via added matting/insulation. Just want to know what works best to alleviate interior rattles & squeaks.

Cheers!
Felt tape helps, find the places that rub by looking for wear points, or just place it spaced out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom