Interior Light Stays On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while. More so in the cold weather the interior lights (over the front and back seats) in the cabin will not go out when the doors are closed. Now that it's warm out, it's not a problem, but as soon as it gets cold again I'm sure it will be back again. I've replaced both light switches on both the driver and passenger doors. I thinking now it may be a problem with the rear hatch. I also have a wiper on my hatch that stopped working. Anyone have any experience with these?

The front overhead light works only on the front doors. The rear overhead light only works on the rear doors and rear hatch.

Did you replace the switches on ALL 4 doors?

Otherwise, I would say you're having a grounding issue with a wire that feeds those lights. Toyota switches the GROUND wire, NOT the POWER wire, so if an accessory ground out, it turns ON.

I would say try digging into the driver's kick panel on the A-pillar and unplug and re-plug the connectors in there to see if it's from corrosion on the pins/plugs.

Otherwise, drop the light fixtures and trace the wires back to the fuse panel. Look for shorts.

Did you replace the switches on ALL 4 doors?
Just the front doors.

My front doors and hatch both work the interior lights. Not the doom light over the dash, the lights fastened to the roof.

Just the front doors.

My front doors and hatch both work the interior lights. Not the doom light over the dash, the lights fastened to the roof.

Then someone has either modified the wiring or that is the root of your problem.

The "map light" is only operated by the switch. But, from the factory, the front main light and the rear main light are on different setups. If BOTH are coming on when you open your front doors, then SOMETHING has been modified/changed.

That also means your REAR door switches may be causing the issue. You MAY need to replace those switches as well. It's also possible the switch in the rear lift gate is the one being the problem. I THINK that one is actually in the latch mechanism on the lift gate.

That also means your REAR door switches may be causing the issue. You MAY need to replace those switches as well. It's also possible the switch in the rear lift gate is the one being the problem. I THINK that one is actually in the latch mechanism on the lift gate.
Thanks, the next chance I get I'll have to check that out.

I have this problem once in a while with the forward ceiling light, not the map light. I found that one of my doors is a little off and it barely makes contact with the switch. Hot and cold will change the resistance of the door seals which will change how tight the door closes. Trying pulling outward on your doors one at a time with them closed (windows down to make it easy to pull) and see if the light comes on.

I have this problem once in a while with the forward ceiling light, not the map light. I found that one of my doors is a little off and it barely makes contact with the switch. Hot and cold will change the resistance of the door seals which will change how tight the door closes. Trying pulling outward on your doors one at a time with them closed (windows down to make it easy to pull) and see if the light comes on.
I've worked the button switch manually, so I don't think that is the problem. But thanks anyway.

Then someone has either modified the wiring or that is the root of your problem.

The "map light" is only operated by the switch. But, from the factory, the front main light and the rear main light are on different setups. If BOTH are coming on when you open your front doors, then SOMETHING has been modified/changed.

Nothing's been modified, that's how the dome lights operate on a '94. The front & rear lights became independent in '95.

Nothing's been modified, that's how the dome lights operate on a '94. The front & rear lights became independent in '95.

Shoot, I SWORE I saw that it was a 97. My bad. Either way, check the rear door switches and the rear gate.

Mine does this. When making hard left hand turns my body leans on the drivers door and my doors unlock and my dome light flashes. Scared the s*** out of me the first night it happened and the whole cabin light up with my bright ass LED's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom