Intercooler upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 24, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
17
Location
north america
I have a 1994 HDJ81 (Japanese spec) 80 series Land Cruiser with a 1HD-T engine. I live in the Las Vegas area with very high temps in the summer months (115 -120 degrees.) My EGT's run high and I wish to install an intercooler. I understand an air to air intercooler is simpler and has less complications and/or potential failure points verses an air to water intercooler. What are the pros and cons of each system? What system will work better in my environment. The vehicle is used mostly for 4 wheeling off road in the desert and trips to Utah and Moab. The vehicle has stock 4.11gearing, automatic transmission and 35 inch wheels. The vehicle has factory A/C and an external transmission cooler.
Thank You
 
Air to water CONS: costs more, (generally) more wires, the pump and relay are parts that could fail one day, could leak boost or coolant, 2nd cooling system to maintain, PROS: very shot intake trac, less lag, no big pipes all over your engine bay, no turn signal lamp to pipe clearance issues, no need to drill big holes in the radiator support, the coolant hoses are very easy to run and don't get in the way, can use a pump controller to regulate your air intake temperature warmer air is not a bad thing for light load cruising, then when temps go up the pump automatically kicks on and brings the temps down, i have mine set at 100 degrees right now but I might turn it up higher. If you are at slow speeds and then punch it the water's thermal mass will help cool down that sudden burst of hot air better (think putting around slowly off road and then going up a hill climb)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom