Inner R front fender removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '96 FZJ 80 passenger side front fender liner requires replacement. I reseached forum threads, but found nothing concerning procedures, or tips regarding removal of engine bay components & wiring from the fender liner, or the fender liner itself. I would appreciate anyone's experience or pertinent technical information that will simplify this repair.
Thanks,
Jace

I replaced the drivers side outer and inner fender which has a lot more stuff in the way... I suspended all that stuff with ropes. There is a hidden bolt under the cowl. The inner and outer are glued together...I replaced mine as one unit. Does your inner passenger fender have a big rust hole in it? Mine does, and after doing the drivers side (outer collision damage and inner rusted) Im just going to cut and patch my passenger inner....not worth removing it imho.
btw....,my LX is from the rust belt and I broke several bolts in the process....a normal thing for me. That added to the work and the decision to just patch the passenger inner.

I replaced the drivers side outer and inner fender which has a lot more stuff in the way... I suspended all that stuff with ropes. There is a hidden bolt under the cowl. The inner and outer are glued together...I replaced mine as one unit. Does your inner passenger fender have a big rust hole in it? Mine does, and after doing the drivers side (outer collision damage and inner rusted) Im just going to cut and patch my passenger inner....not worth removing it imho.
btw....,my LX is from the rust belt and I broke several bolts in the process....a normal thing for me. That added to the work and the decision to just patch the passenger inner.
Hi retlaw,

Thanks for your reply. BTW: I'm a PA guy too. Yes, I have a fist sized rust hole in the inner fender. The PO disassembled a few of the components and relocated them just outside the periphery of the hole. Apparently, some these components were originally mounted where the rust hole now exists. They would have to removed again to cut & patch. I was tempted to do that at first, considering that wiring and more than a dozen engine bay components would require removal & re-installation. However, I acquired a used, but mint replacement inner fender liner and I'm determined to install it. Other threads, mention "a sealer" between the outer & inner fenders. Did you find this when you removed your DS fenders? I ask because my inner fender replacement pc. is off a white cruiser and shows no signs of a sealer, weatherstripping, gaskets or the removal of either of the aforementioned. Did you suspend the components from your hood?

Hi retlaw,

Thanks for your reply. BTW: I'm a PA guy too. Yes, I have a fist sized rust hole in the inner fender. The PO disassembled a few of the components and relocated them just outside the periphery of the hole. Apparently, some these components were originally mounted where the rust hole now exists. They would have to removed again to cut & patch. I was tempted to do that at first, considering that wiring and more than a dozen engine bay components would require removal & re-installation. However, I acquired a used, but mint replacement inner fender liner and I'm determined to install it. Other threads, mention "a sealer" between the outer & inner fenders. Did you find this when you removed your DS fenders? I ask because my inner fender replacement pc. is off a white cruiser and shows no signs of a sealer, weatherstripping, gaskets or the removal of either of the aforementioned. Did you suspend the components from your hood?
I suspended some parts from the ceiling. The passenger side is bare compared to the drivers....thats a plus for you.
The fender I removed had the seal between the inner and outer broken but I could see the remains. The inner/outer that I bought (used) came as one piece and still glued together at the wheel well outer joint. Ive read comments here on MUD about that joint.

I suspended some parts from the ceiling. The passenger side is bare compared to the drivers....thats a plus for you.
The fender I removed had the seal between the inner and outer broken but I could see the remains. The inner/outer that I bought (used) came as one piece and still glued together at the wheel well outer joint. Ive read comments here on MUD about that joint.
How extensive was the sealant? Was it a bead like a contiuous caulk bead, or smooshed between extensive surface areas? I take it that you removed your hood, if you had to suspend components from your ceiling.

How extensive was the sealant? Was it a bead like a contiuous caulk bead, or smooshed between extensive surface areas? I take it that you removed your hood, if you had to suspend components from your ceiling.
The sealant is used to bond the two surfaces together...more like adhesive.
I didnt remove the hood. ...it was just easier to hang stuff from nails and ropes on the ceiling joists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom