Initial startup voltage light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently been getting a lingering voltage light on startup and occasionally it comes on for a second while driving.

I have no idea how old the alternator is, i do have led offroad lights and a stereo system with an amp. So kinda high demand. Battery is an odyssey 1500 thats 2 years old.

Alternator? Voltage regulator? Ill try to get a friend over with a multimeter to help me see where voltage really is.

LED off road lights draw minimal amps, stereo varies.

After starting current load on the alternator is quite high, in particular if the truck been standing, or you have been listening to the stereo with the engine off.

Start with the alternator drive/s, and don't assume if they are tight that they are OK, often they are worn and resting on the lowest part of the V, so less traction on the alternator pulley, assuming good check the plug at the rear of the alternator, a common problem, next up is VR, now you are getting into a replacement territory.

regards

Dave

Check the ground cable for the alternator on the frame too. Mine was bad and it slowly burned up my alternator.
Bout to leave for a few days with the old beast, ill be checking all of this stuff tomorrow. Good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom