1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing Canadian Spec 1984 BJ60 into California

Discussion in 'Importing' started by GarrettS, Aug 14, 2017.

1. GarrettS

GarrettS

Hello there,

This is my first post on this forum and i'm excited to be on here and even more excited to pick up my diesel Landcruiser in about 10 days from now.

First off, I have read and googled and searched lots of IH8Mud threads regarding registering a Diesel LandCruiser in CA but I haven't come up with anything too conclusive yet for my situation. I'm importing a Canadian spec 1984 BJ60 into California from Canada. A lot of what i've read suggests registering out of state first but these seem to be focusing on cars NOT originally for the North American market. Registering out of state IS an option for me, but it would be nice to avoid.

In my readings, I have picked up tidbits and possible references suggesting that because my soon-to-be vehicle (deposit paid) is a North-American/Canadian-spec vehicle with a 17 digit VIN and a VIN plate on the door jamb, that I might be able to breeze my way through the California DMV when I go to register it. I am importing the car myself (flying to Calgary and driving home) and the import should be easy, but what i've read is fairly unclear because it hasn't addressed specifically importing an original Canadian model to California.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers to my first post and to many more,
    -Garrett

2. Snew

Snew

I imported an 82 bj60 from Canada into California. No problems with customs but now stuck with California DMV.
    I got the dreaded request for manufacturer compliance letter. Its seems the 25 year federal exemption doesn't fly in California

GarrettS likes this.
  3. GarrettS

GarrettS

Same with the 1984 I imported.... Looks like I may be registering in Nevada... I wish i had done that first...

4. Snew

Snew

I thought about Nevada as i have family there but they require smog on diesels and I don't like that.

It looks like an option is to take it too a registered importer. or another option is to have one if these outfits open a Montana LLC and register there for a year.

5. drenmaster

drenmaster

Media:
    Albums:
    I was worried about smog testing my hj61 in AZ but it passed with flying colors. I would assume NV would be similar. I don't know how smog testing works or what they look for since these engines never sold in the USA . I have to do the smog thing every year never had an issue.

6. Snew

Snew

I am learning as I am going thru this process.
    AS far as I can tell whats gets us in trouble with California DMV is the vehicle inspection requirements of REG31.

When the DMV inspected my BJ60 they did not find an emissions sticker under the hood and recorded on the REG31. That prompted the suspension and letter requesting manufacturer letter of compliance.

After talking to a Registered Importer it seems they would be able to provide the necessary sticker if you import thru them.

I guess hindsight is 20/20.

7. SteveJackson

SteveJackson Supporting Vendor

Media:
    You can have it brought into compliance for CARB standards, the same thing an RI would do, there's only one place in California that does it: California Environmental Engineering. There are ways around it, but if your VIN is already flagged then your only choices are to pay for compliance testing/modifications or registering out of state. :(