Ignition wiring help with a DUI distributor real time help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I am attempting to start my 40 after being in pieces for the last 18 months. I recently re-wrapped the wiring harness in new tape, but other than that i have made no mods. I am attempting to reinstall the harness the same way it was before it all came out. The previous owner de-smoged it and installed a DUI distributor. the ignition is run through a switch on the passenger side fender pictured below. It is a five prong switch/relay. The bottom red wire attached to the bottom prong on the switch below my finger runs to 12V 30A fusible link hot off the battery. The middle prong on this switch is now hot 12V where I have the black and yellow ignition wire connected. The left prong has a black ground wire attached that runs to a ground on the fender. the right side prong has a red wire attached that runs to the DUI distributor. Does this all make sense? The top prong is empty. I am unsure if this is how it was all originally connected, but this configuration is the only way the key works to turn the starter and all the accessories work. So here is the problem......I crank it over and everything works except that I only get about 6 volts coming from the red wire to the distributor. The distributor requires a minimum of 10.5 volts according to the manufacturer. The battery is fully charged and I checked the voltage off the battery during cranking and it gives nearly 11 volts. I have also checked the ground and tried several different places in the frame as a ground. Same result. All the wires have been replaced with new 12 gauge wires except for the black and yellow wire that runs back into the harness and back to the ignition switch. I have also tried a new switch. what am I missing here? Should there be a 5th wire? Can I bypass this switch? It seems like there has to be a better way to do this. :hmm:
IMG_1315.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom