Ignition issue... switch? or coil/ignitor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ60 with 2F and stock ignition coil/ignitor.

Sometimes when I turn the key to start nothing happens. Lights on dashboard come on when ignition is ON, they flicker when drawing current from battery but there is no clicking and engine won't turn. Already checked battery with multimeter and it shows 12v. Is starting to happen once maybe twice a week now. Once I turn the 4th or 5th time then the engine will start and the issue won't happen again for days, maybe weeks.

Any ideas?

Sometimes when I turn the key to start nothing happens. Lights on dashboard come on when ignition is ON, they flicker when drawing current from battery but there is no clicking and engine won't turn. Already checked battery with multimeter and it shows 12v. Is starting to happen once maybe twice a week now. Once I turn the 4th or 5th time then the engine will start and the issue won't happen again for days, maybe weeks.

Any ideas?
Check all your ground cables. I had the exact same issue. New cables fixed that issue.

Any ideas?
Check the Starter. I replaced mine and the problem solved .

If not the starter, it can often be the Ignition switch BEHIND the Ignition Key Tumbler. It's the electrical component that directs current to the Starter solenoid when you turn the key . The contacts get worn out after 35 years.

1613277996486.png

Any ideas?
Here is the order of failure on a modern-day vehicle. Well actually disregard the modern day comment. Mechanical switches knobs ignition tumblers fail more often I've been other components in the electrical system. Second are relays. 3rd would be a nice starter or alternator. Wiring would be last.

Here is the order of failure on a modern-day vehicle. Well actually disregard the modern day comment. Mechanical switches knobs ignition tumblers fail more often I've been other components in the electrical system. Second are relays. 3rd would be a nice starter or alternator. Wiring would be last.
Go and buy yourself really good high quality 12 volt test probe with ground wire. Don't buy one of those cheap ones at your local automotive parts store but buy from Snap-on Mac Tools for other major supplier. If you can back probe the ignition contact points with the test probe, have someone turn the ignition from the run or accessory point to start mode. If you get no electrical power for the light does not come on, then the ignition module is bad

Reconnect the small wire that's plugged into the starter. That's the trigger wire. If it's making a poor connection, the solenoid won't close (starter won't go)

Any ideas?
Did you figure out what the issue was that was causing this? I'm running into the same issue on my '85 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom