Ignition Guru Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
Hey Guys, I was going to drive my 40 to the wrenching session on Sunday and meet you folks. Unfortunately, it died while idling :doh:and I've been troubleshooting the HEI distributor ever since.

I started a thread in the 40 section. I think I need a new set of eyes to take a look. :deadhorse: There must be something small that I'm missing. I'm completely stumped.

Anyways, if someone would be kind enough to take a look, I would REALLY appreciate it! I'm not asking for someone to fix it , just give me some advice.

THANKS!

if it`s a DUI unit do you have aluminum fillings in the dizzy if so new unit.
if not due you have 12volt at the dizzy with key on & also while cranking?
dose the rotor turn while cranking ?

if it`s a DUI unit do you have aluminum fillings in the dizzy if so new unit.
if not due you have 12volt at the dizzy with key on & also while cranking?
dose the rotor turn while cranking ?

Thanks for the reply. I have a GM HEI for a 79 Camero, fitted with the Toyota gear.

Here's what I have done...

1) I ran a wire from the starting battery to the dizzy. Removed the cover and measured the voltage at the red wire. I have 12.58 volts. While cranking, it measures 11.49.

2) Replaced cap and rotor, though the last cap and rotor had only 4 to 50 miles on them.

3) The coil pack tested good with an ohm meter, but replaced anyway with new unit.

4) Verified the rotor does turn

5) Replaced module (twice)

6) Tested pick up coil, it seems fine. Wires are connected.

7) Ran a ground from negative battery to dizzy body.

And still no spark...:bang:

Is there something I'm missing? Any help/advise is REALLY appreciated!

Thanks!

the only thing left is the pickup or you have a break n the wire enough con for a meter but not for amps.

one other thought do you have a tach? if so disconnect it

Last edited:
yup
but actually any just cause ya have ohm`s don`t mean they will pull load

I inspected the wires... they look good and have very few miles on them.

I have another dizzy from man a fre... thinking about rebuilding it with GM OEM parts. Not sure what else to do.

Where do you suggest buying dizzy parts locally?

thanks again!

sorry for confuses:D didn`t mean IG meant in the dizzy:)

Hey Guys, I was going to drive my 40 to the wrenching session on Sunday and meet you folks. Unfortunately, it died while idling :doh:and I've been troubleshooting the HEI distributor ever since.

I started a thread in the 40 section. I think I need a new set of eyes to take a look. :deadhorse: There must be something small that I'm missing. I'm completely stumped.

Anyways, if someone would be kind enough to take a look, I would REALLY appreciate it! I'm not asking for someone to fix it , just give me some advice.

THANKS!

Sorry we didn't get to visit with you and for your dizzy gremlins the GM conversions are sure nice but can be a PITA when there are issues. I had the GM Manafre version with coil in the cap in my 78 it ran great, never had any issues with it but Armond the member I sold it to had the module in the dizzy go out a few months later. I don't know about you but I stay away from Autozone parts :)

Thanks for the input Larry. If I ever get this thing running again, I'd love to come to a meeting.

I originally had a Man A Fre Lightning Stike dizzy... after three months the counter weights flew off (while on the side of a mountain) and disintegrated the internals. They offered to fix it if I would send it to them. But I needed one that day and purchased a dizzy from Napa. Fortunately, I still have the housing to reuse!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom