I need a battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a search. I'm seeing 27f fits a standard tray. Is that the largest size I can fit using the same cables? Here's a pic of the battery I have now. There is a ton of room left with this 24f. I can get an Interstate 27f that is in stock now or my auto parts store has a Diehard 27f in stock.

9F7DE423-4193-4F7C-8AF3-0D694FCB3EAB.jpeg

Last edited:
Get the Interstate 27F, assuming normal use. OEM is also a good choice. And get a + terminal cover to avoid mishaps like accidental DC welding.

Shoot didn't notice the lack of pos. cover good idea.

Something I keep doing which pi$$es me off when I'm working on this 570.
I keep dropping tools down the front inside the grille and then they fall on to and inside the skid. :bang:

I am replaced my OEM with the interstate 27f . No issues to report. Had to reset the window switches after the battery swap. If I remember correctly you Hold down each window switch to open and then close, otherwise the driver switches to control each window may not work.
check Costco for the interstate battery, you’ll save some money. I think I paid $90 for mine.

Agree with all the responses. Plain old lead acid is best. I got a yellowtop AGM ($$$) and I have to run a voltage booster diode on the alternator, and run an AGM charger every couple months. Not worth the hassle or cost at all.

If money is no object...

If you have a batteries plus in town you can get 10% off, but still expensive. I've been considering spending the money as I want a good quality starting battery and these use pure un-recycled lead that lasts a lot longer then most of the batteries on the market. Odyssey is another top tier option.

If money is no object...

That Northstar battery is also sold under the X2Power label at Batteries Plus and has a full 5-year replacement warranty.

Since money is an object for me I would just buy the Interstate batteries from Costco.

I am replaced my OEM with the interstate 27f . No issues to report. Had to reset the window switches after the battery swap. If I remember correctly you Hold down each window switch to open and then close, otherwise the driver switches to control each window may not work.
check Costco for the interstate battery, you’ll save some money. I think I paid $90 for mine.

Have you strained the battery with any winch pulls? How has it performed? I just installed a 12k winch on mine and trying to figure out which battery to run. After having failed AGM after failed AGM in multiple trucks, I want to keep it simple this time and run a lead acid battery.

Have you strained the battery with any winch pulls? How has it performed? I just installed a 12k winch on mine and trying to figure out which battery to run. After having failed AGM after failed AGM in multiple trucks, I want to keep it simple this time and run a lead acid battery.

I'm curious. What AGMs were you running? I hear this a lot with the optima. Still not sure sure how the Northstar/Odyssey bats hold up? Perhaps this is a case where simple IS better. Initially, I wanted higher charging voltage (AGM) to make it easier to manage DC/DC charge sensing of AUX, but now I'm conflicted.

I'm curious. What AGMs were you running? I hear this a lot with the optima. Still not sure sure how the Northstar/Odyssey bats hold up? Perhaps this is a case where simple IS better. Initially, I wanted higher charging voltage (AGM) to make it easier to manage DC/DC charge sensing of AUX, but now I'm conflicted.

I've had issues with both Interstate (2 or 3 replacements under warranty) and Odyssey (1 replacement), but I don't think it's the batteries' fault. There is a ton of banter back and forth on this board about AGM vs FLA, but the general consensus is the way the 200 alternator works the AGMs are not happy in the long run. I had to buy the Odyssey OBC-20A charger and use it to charge up the various batteries on a regular basis to keep the batteries strong, and that's annoying and ultimately a poor solution. What's even worse though is spending over $450 (just for a single - double it for a dual setup) on a battery, tray, and terminals, and then have to constantly run health checks on the battery and hit it with a charger regularly.

I have no problems spending money where it makes sense, but after having the same AGM issue with multiple trucks (2 200s and a Tacoma), I'm going the easy and cheap route this time. Costco has the Interstate 27F for under $100, so it's worth exploring that option first even if it doesn't look as cool or have the street/expo cred a shiny AGM does. I've seen fake plastic brake caliper covers that make crappy brakes look like Brembos, so maybe we can get a fancy shiny cover for our lowly FLA batteries to make them look cool like they're expensive AGM brethren? :rofl:

For a battery upgrade that will withstand the test of time, it has to be flooded lead acid. That's the only type that the factory alternator is compatible with. That will put up with the abuse of underhood heat.

Of course, we all seek AGM like qualities of more robust construction, more vibration resistance, more power and reserves. These qualities can be had in a flooded lead acid. Look into Deka batteries. Bonus is that they can be had for very reasonable prices.

Group 31 is a relatively easy fit with minor mods.

Just picked up a 27F Interstate for my 80 at Costco for under $100. Hard to beat.

I was looking at buying an agm but reading threads here made me believe it wasn't a good idea. I had one in my 80. It worked ok but I'm not going to use my truck for camping. I have a jump starter battery box I can toss in the back.
Another (small) project complete. $112.00 with core but the auto parts store didn't have a pos. rubber cap. I cleaned up the cables and ground wire real quick before installing. This battery fits real nice BTW.

batt.jpg

Great info. Thanks @TeCKis300! What do you guys think about this option?

Seem to check the boxes. Solid FLA with good specs without going AGM.

^Yup. That should work great. High quality drop in replacement.

Great info. Thanks @TeCKis300! What do you guys think about this option?

Seem to check the boxes. Solid FLA with good specs without going AGM.
I would have an issue with only a 18 month warranty though.

800 cca's. wow. But can you pick one up just anywhere ?

I have only used the winch twice with the 27f battery. No issues to report. Winch pulls were quick, used to pull a stuck 4runner out of a snow drift. Idled in neutral and kept an eye on the RPMs. Nothing out of the ordinary observed. I have the Come Up Seal gen2 12.5 winch. The wireless remote is sweet. Once this battery needs to be replaced I may upgrade to a larger size, think it's the type 31? Seems like a good idea to have some more reserve cranking power.

I would have an issue with only a 18 month warranty though.

Yes - And I can't get one where I live. Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, but also shopping for a new starter battery. After reading all the AGM info, I think simple is better after all. This looks like the best option locally w/o going AGM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom