I always feel like somebody's watching me! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know not a forum issue, but mebbe insight can be offered to placate curiosity. Since you're both the forum "techie" and financial benefactor, figure no one better to pose to.

I understand how Google and FB tracking works and ad placements based on searches.

I do not understand how this is possible:

Had a laser stolen on a jobsite, in a ten minute period where it was out of sight, and had to replace, doing so on Tuesday.

I did not Google anything, didnt call anyone, didn't check deals or cuss the thieves on FB, or anywhere else, didn't map the location, just got in my truck and drove straight there, purchased a replacement using a corporate card that bears company and my name.

This morning, my banner ad shows said retailer.

image.jpg

To coincidental to not be associated with the recent purchase, the first purchase or dollar spent with the company in well over ten years.

Again, I realize it's not this forums doing, don't know if at insight is possible, but curiosity is piqued.

Heck, I don't even always understand how that stuff works...

I've heard that some stores use wifi routers that ping cell phones...if you regularly leave your wifi signal "on" in your phone, even if you con't connect, you are putting out meta info. You in turn got a cookie on your phone. Guessing that's how it works...

I am "more careful" to remember to turn off my cell phone wifi now...believe it was some teeny store that first was reported using it, but I would not be surprised is LOTS of stores do it.

Damn....

That may explain the retail solicitations in my Gmail inbox, then. :)

First "cell phone" with the same number I have now, extends back to '94. I recall how ecstatic I was to not be forced to stop at pay phones and how much more profitable business would be with on demand capabilities that a pager couldn't privide.

Now, operate three businesses, requiring seven email accounts, several apps with notification capabilities, customers/clients/tenants that text, banking services, whole host of other crap that co standby inundate....not to mention personal activities, all on a smart phone....

And I'd give my left nut to go BACK to a pager.

About to pay to have FB account removed, because, even though I disable location services, it'd show that I checked in from Lowe's and suggest similar stores.

Going to move away from Gmail for privacy concerns, along with the targeted marketing that I don't solicit and typically what shows in the ad bar here.

It used to be that wifi was only user permissible, but I can turn it off, yet still show that I'm on Atts network, assuming they can override because a subscriber.

Thanks for reply!!

Still waiting for the day that "Adam and Eve" are depict-able as my banner ad on Mud.

Thinking that'll be avatar material, right there. Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom