how to use the search function? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi i am wandering if the new search works for people.

i write in say "3b oil pressure switch" and i get results but its sort of irrelevant posts that show up the old search i never had a problem with.

not sure if its just me?

Search has always had character limits...the old software allowed for a 4 letter limit and for a bunch of "custom" words to be added (3b included). At this time, the character limit is set per MYSQL limits at 4. I'll look into what's needed for adding additional words, or how much of a hit the database processing takes to handle shorter word limits.

a site-specific search in Google will likely net you better results. Integrating that is also on the list.

site:forum.ih8mud.com 3b oil pressure switch

I'm reindexing search right now (ie: it won't work) - takes a few hours...

I've adjusted a setting that "might" allow your search to complete correctly...if not, there are a couple other options to adjust. I'll use your search phrase and see if I can get results that make sense.

@bj70cruzer - experimenting, but the Google SiteSearch is now on the home forum page in the right column...will experiment with it more, but it's something :)

The indexing must be affecting finding threads posted by user on the CP page as well.

yep, search gets used for a number of things.

4.8 million indexed and counting...

The limit was reset to 2....haven't made that search, but have for V8 and HZ

I regularly search for "ACC" but that is no longer possible with the 4 letter limit FYI.

Thanks
Michael
Have run a few test searches, this should be handled :)

Why are searches, either keyword or username, limited to 10 pages of results? Database thing? In some cases, 10 pages only takes you back to December of 2013.

My first search is what I use for the second/more focused search...adding keywords, or revising to specific date ranges or perhaps to specific forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom