How To Flex

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by a79yota, Jun 25, 2005.

1. a79yota

a79yota

I am loking for more articulation for my 40, and am looking for something bolt on. right now it has a reverse shackle lifht that gives it 2-3" fitting 35s. I am not looking for any more height, and dont want something that will mess up the steering geometry because it already has an aftermarket steering pump with the dropped pitman arm and such. I am not looking to be hard core but want a little more then it already is.

2. Archengine

Archengine SILVER Star

You can change out to new flexy springs lime OME, or you can work with what you have. What I did to my Rancho springs made all the difference in the world. Remove your springs, take the individual leaves apart, blast off all the rust, take a grinder to clean up the edges, repaint with some DURABLE paint, line them with adhesive backed teflon, and reassemble, making sure to leave the spring clamps relatively loose so the spring is able to slip and twist. Get new bushings, and grease them up really well. Total cost is around $50 for the teflon, $15 on paint and the price of the bushings depends on the size of course. While I'm sure there are a few other tricks out there, my ultra-stiff rancho springs went from almost no flex front or rear, to very soft. Just to see, I borrowed my dads forklift, and was able to lift any tire over 33" before lifting another tire off the ground, the fronts were a few inches more. I also chose to remove the bottom spring on mine, and worked out nicely, but that may not work out for you. Best of luck to you.

3. bustanutley

bustanutley

4. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    alcan can make you a nice set of flexy springs...much cheaper than ome if you're financially challenged like i am.

5. Toyo FJ40

Toyo FJ40

Media:
    Albums:
  6. fj40_rico

fj40_rico

The only way to go! If you go with any other option you will still want to do the SOA so do it right the first time.

- Rico.

7. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    are the revolvers the ones that bind? i know there were binding issues with one of those setups.

8. a79yota

a79yota

first, ill show you how green i am, what does SOA stand for. And I already posted a question about revolver shackels and no one had anything good to say.

9. 72cruiser

72cruiser

soa = spring over axle

your current and stock setup is 'sua' = spring under axle...

if you look in the tech links you can find great write ups about SOAs and how to do them

malphrus

10. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Ford front towers and longer front shocks...and make sure your shackles are angled back over the spring pack and not verticle.

Really, for flex, pull the shocks and twist up opposite corners.... RTI's do NOT max your flex. Get opposite corner tires on a berm and the other opposite corners "hanging".

see my writeup on shackle angle adjustments in the rear, same principle applies in front.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.