How to fit 37's on a FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They DO fit a 33" tire stock. That's what I started with. I had Goodyear MTR's 285/70/17 (which equals 33/11/17) on the stock aluminum rims with no lift, and no trimming. They don't rub at all, even under extreme flex. ( I say extreme, but it's stock flex) :D

Ryan I think you must have driven in a straight line and not turned the steering wheel. I ran 285 MT/R's at stock height and they rubbed like crazy. I run 305/70/16 (33x12.5x16) with the same OME lift and they rub when twisted up. I trimmed my body mounts a long time ago, so I have a hard time believing you.

None the less the 37's with a solid axle would be sweet. Without the solid axle forget it. You've GOT TO rub all day long.

What rims did you use with your 285/70/17's? I used the stock rims, and really...there is zero rubbing. There is about 1/4" clearance at the body mount. That was on my blue Cruiser. I wheeled that thing hard, and absolutely nothing rubbed. I'll bet you didn't have the same offset/backspacing.
Yes, the Krawlers rub a bit. I also found under a lot of flex they are rubbing on the frame when turned. The rubbing on the frame, and inner fender (under the fender liner) are the only 2 places that I can't eliminate the rubbing. All other areas won't rub after trimming.

For fitting a bigger tire...it can be done, but with much more trimming. You would have to cut into the firewall/wheel well area. Most likely have to re-locate the dead pedal where you rest your left foot. Most likley have to remove the front flair completely. (I have a plan for this).
Rear would need pretty much the same treatment. It's mostly the edge of the tire that gives the grief. One might be able to get a 38/11.50 on there with the trimming that I have already done, but there isn't many tires in that size.

What rims did you use with your 285/70/17's? I used the stock rims, and really...there is zero rubbing. There is about 1/4" clearance at the body mount. That was on my blue Cruiser. I wheeled that thing hard, and absolutely nothing rubbed. I'll bet you didn't have the same offset/backspacing.

You are the single owner that reports no rubbing with this size tire and no lift but glad it worked for you. Sbechtold has detailed his mods very carefully and accurately and bet he used wheels that replicated the stock backspacing and offset.

Yes, the Krawlers rub a bit. I also found under a lot of flex they are rubbing on the frame when turned. The rubbing on the frame, and inner fender (under the fender liner) are the only 2 places that I can't eliminate the rubbing. All other areas won't rub after trimming.

I guess I'm confused on the amount of rubbing and necessary trimming from these two quotes you made in this thread. In my eyes, "trimming" into the firewall and passenger compartment are not "minor" and significant modifications in order to fit those tires. Maybe I'm getting your threads mixed up between this one and the one on the "blue forum" but with frame rubbing and rubbing on the dead pedal equates to a definitive non-functional tire/wheel fit in my opinion. But, keep trying...:cheers:

I don't know about being the only one that doesn't rub with 285/70/17's. I've heard of many. I've also heard from people that say that base models don't exist, but I've had two.
I don't want anyone to think I'm making it up, but I don't know what else to say.
My 285/70/17 Goodyear MTR's on stock aluminum rims with no lift and no trimming did NOT rub. At all. None. Period. That's it. Zero.

As for the 37's, I wasn't saying the trimming for the rubbing on the frame and dead pedal area was minor. I said that the rubbing was so minimal that I could live with it.
The minor trimming was the plastic. (inner fender liner, mudflap, fender flair) I would consider the body mount trimming to be extensive trimming, but everyone does it, so that doesn't count.

Anyways, this is all too much. If you don't believe me, fine. If you do, fine. I was just making a post about what I've done to my truck, and what worked for me. I don't feel the need to defend myself anymore. If you want more detailed info, or pics and vid, please feel free to PM me.

I run MTR's 285/70/17 with no lift and stock steells with no rubing... I wheeled in Moab midwest and the south east with no issues at all..... The trcuk was loaded... And I also have a m/t base model FJ I added the a-trac and cruise control

Any idea what backspace and offset for the rims for this?
I'm just about to do the same on mine. I have a 2013 FJ-TTSE with Icon Stage 6 and a 1.5" Body lift. Already have 4.88 from the 35s on it now. Just concerned about the UCA rubbing the tires and rim needed.
Thanks...
Resing a dead thread hoping someone has the info.'

I'd send the OP a PM to find out what he did, though he hasn't been active for some time.

My personal experience relates to what "works" is a broad defiition for some. As you can see, I was pretty confrontational with him, more so on FJCForums, I wasn't the only one.

Backspacing, regardless of tire diameter needs to be in the 3.5-3.75" to avoid contact with the UCA's, my experience is that the limiting factor for the FJC is tire width. Any tire wider than ~11", on the stock backspacing wheels, will probably rub, depending on the tire's profile.

If one pushes the tire out, then we run into the fenders and other body part, making others put bump stops in to avoid contacting the body parts when flexed.

You want the best advice...invest in a Budbuilt "Tummy Tuck" if you really want to improve the FJC's ability to wheel, the extra 1" of ground clearance a 37" tire gives is of little significance when one considers the limitations most 37" tires will create. I don't know of a 37" tire that is under 11" wide, what would be the specs I'd be looking for if I were to go to that sized tire.

Good luck, post pics when you got it done...

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing the information on backspacing dimensions. When shopping for new set of wheels for the FJC, is this a prerequisite?

I also found your recommendation on the Budbuilt tummy tuck enlightening, so I went to their web site to check it out. The actually require the installation of the Inchworm Lefty tcase (a $2000 item by itself). Have you actually gone this route, and if so do you have a link to the modifications made either on IH8MUD or on FJCruiserforums? They state that the updates will yield an additional 4" of belly clearance - that's huge! Thanks.

Steve

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing the information on backspacing dimensions. When shopping for new set of wheels for the FJC, is this a prerequisite?

I also found your recommendation on the Budbuilt tummy tuck enlightening, so I went to their web site to check it out. The actually require the installation of the Inchworm Lefty tcase (a $2000 item by itself). Have you actually gone this route, and if so do you have a link to the modifications made either on IH8MUD or on FJCruiserforums? They state that the updates will yield an additional 4" of belly clearance - that's huge! Thanks.

Steve

Yes, I did go that route, my FJC was tummy tuck #1, yes, the inchworm or equivelant is required, and, yes, the differenc is true, making for a flat belly from frame rail to frame rail. Click on the link in my sig for the details, couple pics...

Stock...
IMG_5101.jpg

Tucked...

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

TT-2-18.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom