How to dispose AT & brake fluids ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=9845;start=msg87286#msg87286 date=1073620720]
Your county will be glad to take it off your hands for no charge. Go to http://www.hhw.org and select the HHW Disposal link.
[/quote]

Went to the site and found this:

THE CERTIFIED CENTERS WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY CONTAMINATED USED OIL, ANTIFREEZE, TRANSMISSION FLUID OR BRAKE FLUID FROM RESIDENTS.

If you have any of these products, please contact (408) 299-7300 for disposal instructions.

Has any one called the number to see what to do? I live in Contra Costa county so it wouldn't apply to me but what do they expect us to do with tranny and brake fluid? I've already decided the coolant goes down the toilet. I figure it should keep the toilet seat warmer. :D

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=9845;start=msg88017#msg88017 date=1073699880]
...but what do they expect us to do with tranny and brake fluid?...
[/quote]

They accept used oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, and brake fluid - as long as it is not mixed all together!

Rich,

They did not take my AT red fluid contained in their supplied plastic gallons, along with a note that clarified that they won't take fluids other than motor oils & oil filter.

I've always had them mixed together before thus never acknowleged about the regulation.

Frank.

Frank,

There are 3 county programs: 1) Curb side pickup - motor oil only, 2) Certified Used Oil Dropoff - motor oil only, and 3) Household Hazardous Waste drop off. Check out the website. The Household Hazardous Waste Dropoff will take almost anything that is not radioactive.

Mixing fluids screws up the refining of used motor oil, which is why they don't want mixed fluids.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom