How much Alodine do I need? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting a Aqualu 40 series into the body shop an need to prepare the aluminum. This is the sum of parts getting painted:
Tub and cowl
Windshield frame
Fenders
Bib
Aprons
Storage tailgate
How much Alumiprep and Alodine will I need? Aqualu is recommending 3:1 water to Alumiprep and 1:1 water to Alodine. A local supplier has a 20L/5 gallon bucket for sale.
Thanks for your input!

Five gallons would be way more than you need. If you can get it locally, I'd start with a couple quarts of each and then get more if needed.
A few helpful hints:
I use a spray bottle to apply both the etch and Alodine. The etch will wreck the pump mechanism in the spray bottle eventually so at the end of each day run some fresh water through the sprayer to help it last longer.
I wet things with water before applying either the etch or Alodine - helps it go a little further and keeps it from drying before you can rinse it off..
Don't let either dry on the aluminium. Best to do on a cool, overcast day. Don't try it in direct sunlight on a hot day. There's no way you'll get the required dwell time without it drying. Work in sections if need be.
When I apply the etch I also lightly scrub the aluminium with a fine (red) Scotch-Brite pad. Not entirely necessary but helps give the metal a little more "tooth" to hold the paint. Wear gloves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom