Home gym flooring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
The new house has an excess of bedrooms for our capacity, so we are converting the downstairs bedroom into a gym/gun building workshop.

I know I want rubber floors, as both activities need some cushioning and ease of cleaning is key. Any suggestions on type of flooring, brand and thickness would be welcome.

I am assuming I'm ripping up the carpet that's in there and just putting the flooring right on the slab.

A lot of gyms use horse stall mats from the local farm supply.

Although rolls make it way better
I bought some horse stall mats from the local farm and feed, and found they were pressed together little rubber balls.

Which proceeded to break apart and roll all over the place.

Looking for something "not like that".

I bought some horse stall mats from the local farm and feed, and found they were pressed together little rubber balls.

Which proceeded to break apart and roll all over the place.

Looking for something "not like that".
The ones I’ve been on aren’t like that.

they do have those interlocking rubber / foam tiles for standing comfort in shops, garages etc. Got some foam ones at Costco a long time ago, still going strong. They are soft, though.
Maybe also look at the ones for playgrounds? Probably very hard.
Seems like you would only need them where you lift weights, not everywhere? Why do you need cushioning for gun building? Or do you mean artillery pieces (envious...)?

they do have those interlocking rubber / foam tiles for standing comfort in shops, garages etc. Got some foam ones at Costco a long time ago, still going strong. They are soft, though.
Maybe also look at the ones for playgrounds? Probably very hard.
Seems like you would only need them where you lift weights, not everywhere? Why do you need cushioning for gun building? Or do you mean artillery pieces (envious...)?
Putting the rubber mats over carpet is kinda dumb, imo. Easier and cleaner install to rip up the carpet and lay rubber mat on the slab.

There are two reasons to have rubber mats in a gun building shop. First, most tasks must be done standing, and the mats help reduce stress to the joints. Second, sawdust and wood curl management is a b*tch and the rubber mat is just easier to keep clean than carpet.

Here are pics of the current stuff I'm using. I was just wondering if anyone had specific recommendations, like is 1/2 inch thick enough or do I need 3/4 inch mat.

16503118388036821662902251067658.jpg

16503118639436745626493250566133.jpg

I used horse stall mat from Tractor Supply for my lifting area; it is all black and does not crumble. I used the 3/4" version, comes in 4' x 6' sheets but you can get different thicknesses and options:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/horse stall mats?

For just standing on, look at kitchen anti-fatigue mats. My wife has these in her kitchen; they are some kind of squishy but firm (gel?) material that is comfortable to stand on, but not firm enough to lift on. Not sure of the brand, and she is not here to ask, but if you search online you will get a lot of options.

I used horse stall mat from Tractor Supply for my lifting area; it is all black and does not crumble. I used the 3/4" version, comes in 4' x 6' sheets but you can get different thicknesses and options:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/horse stall mats?

For just standing on, look at kitchen anti-fatigue mats. My wife has these in her kitchen; they are some kind of squishy but firm (gel?) material that is comfortable to stand on, but not firm enough to lift on. Not sure of the brand, and she is not here to ask, but if you search online you will get a lot of options.

I see TSC has both the solid rubber and the recycled crap I already have, so I will probably go with those solid rubber ones. Hopefully, 3/4" will allow my doors clearance to open and close.

I have an anti-fatigue mat that I'll put down in front of my stocking bench. It's working fine right now on concrete, so I imagine putting it on rubber mat will make it betterer....

I went with Flexco Prime Sports rubber flooring 1/3" because it fit perfectly under the pre-existing baseboards. I took up the carpet, left the baseboard in place and just slipped the trimmed edge under it. Looks and works great. I put some horseman under the place where I plan to deadlift. Really happy with the product, but it took a lot more than planned for a neat idea install.

IMG_20220515_171902719.jpg

IMG_20220515_171850173.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom