HJ45/47 long range fuel tank questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since the fuel tank is in the tub and directly under the seats in the HJ45 a saddle type tank that goes under both seats can be installed for added fuel capacity ala Man-a_Fre.

Is there a similar style tank that will fit in the HJ47 with the main tank under the tub?

What options are there for added fuel capacity?

I believe there is a rear mounted tank but I would like to also extend the main (front) tank like the saddle style tank that will fit in the HJ45 (pre 80' I believe).

Allen

I bought a Troopy from AU. It has an aux tank on it mounted under the tub. I haven't checked it for any identifying info to see if it's a custom one-of-a-kind tank or if it was manufactured by a company down there. I can take some pictures of if if you're interested. (It's visible in this video too HJ45 video. Pay attention when I take the camera under the truck. )

I can slide under the truck to try to ID the thing if it looks like it would work for you.

Yes some pics and any other info would be great!

I'm debating on whether to look for an HJ45 or HJ47. I like the 2H of the 47 but the 45 might be easier to put a saddle tank under the seat.

Either way I would like to put some sort of a tank under the tub in the rear also.

What is your total fuel capacity?

Allen

I'll snap some photos tomorrow and see if I can figure out who made the aux tank that's on my Troopy. I wish I knew the total fuel capacity. I've had it less than a week and have only taken it for a few trips down the dirt road that I live on. I doubt I'm going to register it until next year so I will be a while until I have a need to fill the tank.

i'm not sure if the "under seat" long range tank will fit in a troopy.

the floor pan is different from the older 40's and the utes. first troopy79? or 80. in 79 or 80 (can't remember) the floor pan in the 40 changed, fuel tank under the body, so the tank you are thinking of using won't work in troopy without some serious body mods.

there is a lot of room where the spare tire goes, that's the best place for an AUX tank IMHO. relocate the spare to a swingout style carrier, or on a roof rack.

there is a company in OZ that makes tanks for the 40 troopy, longranger... but with the cost of shipping etc, my guess it would be cheaper to just get one custom made in the US.

i think that MAF may have the tanks or can get them on order, be prepared... $$$pendy. SOR may have them as well, but you'll have to call, none listed.

stock fuel tank for an HJ47 is 85ltrs.

troopys rock! not enough space (covered secure ect.. in a ute, for me)

hth's
crusty

My Troopy is a 1980. The tank is under the body, below the seat. It looks the same as my 82 BJ42.

I have the Man-a-Fre aux tank in the back of my 42. (It's manufactured for them by a company in AU.) It's a very nice unit but I don't think it would bolt up in a Troopy. The frame rails in the back of the Troopy are wider than the 40/42. You would have to fabricate your own tank mounts. So if you're going to go through the effort to design and fabricate your own mounts it might be just as easy to do a custom tank.

I'll take some pictures of the aux tanks in my two Cruisers later today when I get home from the office. I have a few photos of the Man-a-Fre unit in my 42 if you're curious.

Last edited:
I snapped a few photos today of the aux tank in my Troopy. I wasn't able to find any logos, part numbers or anything that might indicate who made it. I suspect it's a custom unit. I have no idea what it's capacity is.

Here's some photos.

aux-tank-1.jpg

aux-tank-2.jpg

aux-tank-3.jpg

aux-tank-4.jpg

dimensions

Here's some dimensions on my aux tank in the photos above.

hj45-aux-tank-dimensions.gif

If you're thinking about building one the 5" long tank bottom could easily be extended to gain a little more capacity. The only limitation is your exhaust system. You could also change the sloped part of the tank to be 4" or 5" to gain a little extra clearance around the drive shaft.

I didn't include the location of the filler tube. I figured that would be a matter of personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom