High Pitched Spinning Squeal or Squeek from Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need your insight:

I have a 2007 LX470 with 122K on it.

In the past two weeks I have noticed a squeeking/squealing sound coming from what seems to be the left side of the truck. I have only noticed the sound when

- it seems to be at least 80 degrees or warmer
- truck seems to need to be driven for about 15 minutes before it happens
- traveling at fast speeds on highway. Never is heard at low speeds.
- when I am in the fast lane and next to a jersey wall, the sound is louder from the reflection
- steering seems to change it. If I am going straight, I hear it, if my wheel turns slighting to the left or right, the sound may change or even stop.

The sound has a spinning to it as if it is coming from a wheel, it does not sound like a squeeling belt.

Any experience with this out there? Bearings?

THank you all.

Brian

Can you tell if it is front or rear wheel? On front, brake pads have some spring wires that can break and rub against the rim.

I had the same thing that I fought for MONTHS trying to track down. I was convinced it was the front brakes, but after taking apart several times and cleaning I finally checked the rear pads...pads still had life left, and the squeal indicater was not rubbing, but the pads themselves were glazed over enough that they would squeak from time to time.
Replaced the pads and noise went away.
You might can narrow down the noise by spraying down one wheel/brakes at a time. Sometimes washing the dust off can help or at least stop the squeaking long enough that you can pin point the bad wheel.

The truck was in for service yesterday, and no luck in finding the problem.

Does your squeaking go away when you apply the brakes?

I'm not supprised they didn't find the problem. How much effort did they put into tracking it down? Did they just eyeball everything and give up?
If your noise goes away when you Apply the brakes, that would indicate a brake problem. If the noise persists it may be something else. There is only so many parts that spin, it's gotta be one of them. Have you tried to narrow down the wheel that its coming from?

You probably have a frozen ebrake. There is a bell crank on outside of the brake backing plate that usually freezes up. You can peal back the rubber boot that covers it a see if its corroded. Then beat the s*** out of it with a hammer to lossen it up. Dont hit the threaded adjuster though.

I had some bad squeaking, turned out to be a rock stuck in the ebrake drum

You probably have a frozen ebrake. There is a bell crank on outside of the brake backing plate that usually freezes up. You can peal back the rubber boot that covers it a see if its corroded. Then beat the s*** out of it with a hammer to lossen it up. Dont hit the threaded adjuster though.

Check is by pulling thee brake slightly when you hear the squeaking. Also the way our cruisers are designed, most car washes won't clean the dust and grime off from the inside if the brakes, you'll need to spray from the back side. Have you tried anything to locate the problem?

Check is by pulling thee brake slightly when you hear the squeaking. Also the way our cruisers are designed, most car washes won't clean the dust and grime off from the inside if the brakes, you'll need to spray from the back side. Have you tried anything to locate the problem?

It happened again tonight, it was again at high speeds, above 80 degrees outside, and driving faster than 50mph. I did tap the brakes and braked to slow down, and the sound didn't disappear until i was below 45 mph.

It happened again tonight, it was again at high speeds, above 80 degrees outside, and driving faster than 50mph. I did tap the brakes and braked to slow down, and the sound didn't disappear until i was below 45 mph.

That being the case I would look into wheel bearings. D you know if/when the front bearings were serviced?

Here is a little update, and maybe the solution. I just put new tires on the truck and the sound has stopped. I am not sure how to explain this, but it just is. Any insights? Might the worn previous tires caused this type of sound?

Okay any solution? I'm noticing the same thing
- going above 72 mph
- hear it more when going up or down inclines at this speed
- feel like it will make noise when finished passing semi truck (like the wind pushing me from the side to side stops)
- do not hear it below 70 mph
- sounds like a leaking valve on a toilet, happens for like a second or two
- sound appears to be under drivers foot well
- I've got a video of the sound, will upload
2005 LX 470, 256k miles
I know the ebrake does not function.
Dealer serviced whole life, vehicle drives well.

Does feel like rear disks are warped when stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom