High mileage synthetic vs regular synthetic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know any oil topic can open a can of worms but my main question is if you guys/gals are using high mileage synthetics and at miles you start at. I am new to Land Cruisers. I have had mostly Jeeps. I just sold my last Grand Wagoneer to buy the Land Cruiser. It's a 2009 with 130,000 miles. In the past I would switch to High Mileage around 100,000. I use Mobile 1. Thanks for any input.

Toyota runs full synth in all of their vehicles now. I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic, not listed as "high mileage", on my LCs and other vehicles for years and have had no issues.

The guys at Black Stone Labs state they just use regular dino oil in their vehicles. If anyone would know what's best they probably do. I think their theory is that as long as it's wet, slippery and not full of bad particulates it's not really going to make any difference on wear.

I think the only way it really matters what you use is if you are in to hyper milage oil changes. In that case you will want to run a high quality diesel HD oil which tend to have a larger additive package than other conventional/synthetics.

I personally only use Toyota 0w-20 synthetic. Toyota has the best lubricants and filters in the industry so it works for me (best meaning there is nothing better with many others being equal).

Last edited:
Does the LC consume excessive oil using full (non-high mileage) snyth
I know any oil topic can open a can of worms but my main question is if you guys/gals are using high mileage synthetics and at miles you start at. I am new to Land Cruisers. I have had mostly Jeeps. I just sold my last Grand Wagoneer to buy the Land Cruiser. It's a 2009 with 130,000 miles. In the past I would switch to High Mileage around 100,000. I use Mobile 1. Thanks for any input.

Does the LC consume excessive oil using full (non-high mileage) synthetic? If it does not, stay with full synthetic. IMO.

There are a couple specific things you need to look out for on a 3UR-FE engine with 130k miles (ie water pump, radiator) but other than that 130k miles is by no means an old engine moving in to it's sunset years that needs to be babied. At 130k your engine has just reached adult hood and should still have a long life ahead of it.

Is it weird that oils are my favorite subject?

Oil marketed as high milage is just an oil with more additives and for better seal conditioning. A high quality "true" synthetic already has generally much more conditioning additives than conventional high millage oil.

Toyota 0-20 is a solid synthetic oil, I personally use Amsoil signature series 0-20 and have been testing my oil through black stone for about a decade now.

Just don't waste money on mobile 1 or royal purple, mobile was good 15 years ago, but they are not a synthetic oil, there was a law suit years ago that settled with companies being able to say they were synthetic be having enough additives and refining process of their crude oil bases to legally call them selves a synthetic oil.

^^^That's funny, I like to talk oil also but don't know why. I will definitely stay with synthetic but was curious if I should use, for instance, Mobile 1 high mileage synthetic or regular. I have my first oil change coming up. I think I will use regular Mobile 1 synthetic and see how the engine likes it. I watched the oil change video in the FAQs and got my fumoto valve and the filter cartridge adapter from Amazon. Thanks for the responses.

I don't think the "high-mileage" versions are that big if a deal, but I guess the time to start using them is 100k. I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Costs a little more than the regular full synthetic Mobil 1, but supposed to protect to 15k with proper filtration. I don't run it to 15k, but I don't want to change my oil any more than necessary considering what a PITA it is on the 200.

I don't think the "high-mileage" versions are that big if a deal, but I guess the time to start using them is 100k. I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Costs a little more than the regular full synthetic Mobil 1, but supposed to protect to 15k with proper filtration. I don't run it to 15k, but I don't want to change my oil any more than necessary considering what a PITA it is on the 200.
Just wait until you add an ARB skid plate that you need to remove every time you change the oil as well! :)

I'm a big fan of TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0W-20 which, to many, is the holy grail of full synthetic 0W-20 oils.

Also intrigued by the fact that most (all?) comparison tests like these do not include TGMO - begs the question, "Why not?" Could it be because it blows away the competition?

TGMO can be purchased from your local Toyota dealer for about US$6.00/qt or less in case (12 qts) lots (ask the Parts guy for a discount).

Of course, just my opinion. Not trying to convince anyone of anything. YMMV. Just sharing my overwhelmingly positive experience with TGMO.

HTH

It is pita to change the oil on the 200 vs 100 for example.

Being under warranty, I remove the skid for review and then take it to our local dealer, Camelback Toyota. They use regular dino/semi syn TGMO 5w30 and change it 40 bucks. (well worth it) TGMO is an exceptional motor oil.

For comparison, our 100 has 230k on it and gets changes every 5k or 6mts with regular dino oil, mobil 5k or tgmo 5w30. NOT high mileage. I don't believe high mileage is necessary. The 100 uses no oil and like the 200, the oil looks very "new" for a couple thousand.

Is it weird that oils are my favorite subject?

Oil marketed as high milage is just an oil with more additives and for better seal conditioning. A high quality "true" synthetic already has generally much more conditioning additives than conventional high millage oil.

Toyota 0-20 is a solid synthetic oil, I personally use Amsoil signature series 0-20 and have been testing my oil through black stone for about a decade now.

Just don't waste money on mobile 1 or royal purple, mobile was good 15 years ago, but they are not a synthetic oil, there was a law suit years ago that settled with companies being able to say they were synthetic be having enough additives and refining process of their crude oil bases to legally call them selves a synthetic oil.

Wait, so you're saying that M1 is still not full synthetic? I've always seen it as rated up there with Amsoil. Not doubting you, just really surprised and never heard this before.

Wait, so you're saying that M1 is still not full synthetic? I've always seen it as rated up there with Amsoil. Not doubting you, just really surprised and never heard this before.
Yea, I'm not saying it's bad, I won't buy it because in my oil sample testing I think I can use other fluids that are a bit better that cost me less actually. But yes, to call an oil synthetic, it just needs to meet a very very high level of refinement. Another example is pennzoils new ultra synthetic oil "made from natural gas". It's base was never a true lab made synthetic, but with enough refinement, legally companies can label it as synthetic.

Warning, thats a very deep rabbit hole to go down. It depends on what you mean by "synthetic". Here is an article that explains it a little bit.

Most Mobil 1 oils can be technically considered a synthetic because they are made of mostly PAO.

Last edited:
^^^ YES!!! thank you! That's exactly what I was talking about. The word synthetic is like the word performance, it doesn't really mean anything anymore because there are so many different definitions.

Well, I guess I learned something today. I have seen plenty of the oil "tests" out there, but never really realized it wasn't 100% synthetic. I had always used it over the Toyota brand. So what do you all prefer? Amsoil or Toyota, or another brand?

Well, I guess I learned something today. I have seen plenty of the oil "tests" out there, but never really realized it wasn't 100% synthetic. I had always used it over the Toyota brand. So what do you all prefer? Amsoil or Toyota, or another brand?

TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil)

TGMOLabel_13DEC13_zpsa1008640.jpg

TGMOLabelDetail_13DEC13_zps6d5aec22.jpg

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom