High lift Jack Tire Mount (1988 FJ62 with rear Dobinson's swing out) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Nick

GOLD Star
Threads
Friends,

I'm after two recommendations:

1) A high lift jack (my '62 has a 2" OME lift and 33s)
2) A corresponding spare tire mount for the jack (I've got my spare mounted on a Dobinson's swing out: spare on p/s and two jerry cans on the d/s).

I'm getting ready to do the Daniel Boone Back Country Byway (Red River Gorge, KY) at the beginning of October, and this is the last piece of safety/recovery kit that I need.

Any advice would be extremely welcome.

Thank you!

From the way you asked, I'm assuming you don't have any experience with a high lift. A high lift jack can be an essential tool if you wheel alone. They are quite versatile, but they are extremely dangerous to use - especially for novices or those that don't have experience with them. Mistakes made with a high lift can be fatal or at least life altering, such as limb loss. Axle lockers, careful use of a winch or wheeling in a group have almost eliminated the need for a high lift. Still, carrying a high lift is nice to have for certain situations. I'd recommend having an experienced user school you on the use of one if you decide to get and carry a high lift.

From the way you asked, I'm assuming you don't have any experience with a high lift. A high lift jack can be an essential tool if you wheel alone. They are quite versatile, but they are extremely dangerous to use - especially for novices or those that don't have experience with them. Mistakes made with a high lift can be fatal or at least life altering, such as limb loss. Axle lockers, careful use of a winch or wheeling in a group have almost eliminated the need for a high lift. Still, carrying a high lift is nice to have for certain situations. I'd recommend having an experienced user school you on the use of one if you decide to get and carry a high lift.
Thanks for the advice man. I appreciate the honesty very much. Yes, I've got a winch and have experience using it, but I have never used a high light jack. I'm heading out with a passenger, but will almost certainly be alone on the trail (it does have some difficult spots - I've researched it carefully - but those are also avoidable). I'm not looking to do any crawling, or deep water crossings, just some moderate trail-riding through the KY hills. It sounds like I should hold off on the jack for a bit. I'm not looking for trouble, or to leave an arm on the trail :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom