HF2AV vs HF2A quick question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing an Engine and drive train swap. Donor vehicle is 94 Non ABS with HF2A. Vehicle its going into is a 93 with ABS that has the HF2AV case. Ive done the research and understand the differences between the two however I dont quite grasp how those differences translate performance or drive ability wise. Right now both engines are out of the vehicles and im just looking for a "Its worth swapping the T-Cases" or "Not worth the time and effort" sort of answer. Vehicle is not a daily driver and is used mainly for offroading in Wyoming. Neither vehicle has locking diffs. Thanks for the help

If you wade through some of the extraneous discussion in this thread, it covers most of it

That said, If you are going to keep the ABS functional, you'll need to use the AV or wire up a workaround to disable the ABS when the Center diff is locked. From a drive ability stand point, they will drive the exact same until you lose traction. The viscous coupler will keep sending at least some power to the non spinning diff.

Picture this: High range, CDL unlocked, icy parking lot. If you goose the throttle around a corner with the HF2A, you will have to drive it kinda like a RWD vehicle. With the HF2AV, the front end will still pull some, and as you keep your foot in it and the VS heats up, it will pull even more.

HTH

If you wade through some of the extraneous discussion in this thread, it covers most of it

That said, If you are going to keep the ABS functional, you'll need to use the AV or wire up a workaround to disable the ABS when the Center diff is locked. From a drive ability stand point, they will drive the exact same until you lose traction. The viscous coupler will keep sending at least some power to the non spinning diff.

Picture this: High range, CDL unlocked, icy parking lot. If you goose the throttle around a corner with the HF2A, you will have to drive it kinda like a RWD vehicle. With the HF2AV, the front end will still pull some, and as you keep your foot in it and the VS heats up, it will pull even more.

HTH
Thanks. Since I drive on icy roads 6 months of the year I think I'll go ahead and swap them out. Or at least the rear portion that contains the VC as the internals in the HF2A have 100k fewer miles and was better maintained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom