Here Begins Project Cummings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jcj_78FJ40 said:
Have you given any thought to which TC case you might use? I would like to do a similar swap in my 91 FJ80 using something like the NP205. But my FJ80 has the off set rear T/C output. I think if I swapped in a TC with a centered output, I would have to relocate the gas tank, not to mention the rear axel mods.

I know that the 93 and newer FJ80 are full floating but are the diffs centered or offset?

The NP200 is a military version of the NP205 but had an offset rear output. You can also use the input/rear output shaft from a divorced mount 205 to make your own offset rear output 205. By using the 2 piece shaft that is normally the input/output shaft to replace the solid front output shaft, and fiddling with the shift forks, you just made yourself a twin stick offset rear output 205. Keep in mind that there will be no center diff and this will be a stricktly part time case.

ElJefe said:
The NP200 is a military version of the NP205 but had an offset rear output. You can also use the input/rear output shaft from a divorced mount 205 to make your own offset rear output 205. By using the 2 piece shaft that is normally the input/output shaft to replace the solid front output shaft, and fiddling with the shift forks, you just made yourself a twin stick offset rear output 205. Keep in mind that there will be no center diff and this will be a stricktly part time case.

Very Cool....Thanks!

What exactly is meant by a "Divorced" TC?

Many of the mid-70's Ford trucks had a "divirced" transfer case meaning it was not bolted to the tranny tail housing. Instead, it was mounted independently and had a small driveshaft leading to it. Because of this design, both the input and the centered rear output had a splined shaft and yoke on them as opposed to the typical female internally splined input gear if the tcase was bolted directly to the tranny tail housing. The fact that the shaft has yokes on both sides is critical because this allows you to use it and the front rear bearing retainers as the offset front/rear output shaft, replacing the stock solid front output shaft. The split shaft lets you disengage the front while still driving the rear output of the shaft. Here is a pic of a modified 205 retaining both outputs...

In your application you would utilize only the offset rear output.

what_tcase.jpg

ElJefe said:
Many of the mid-70's Ford trucks had a "divirced" transfer case meaning it was not bolted to the tranny tail housing. Instead, it was mounted independently and had a small driveshaft leading to it. Because of this design, both the input and the centered rear output had a splined shaft and yoke on them as opposed to the typical female internally splined input gear if the tcase was bolted directly to the tranny tail housing. The fact that the shaft has yokes on both sides is critical because this allows you to use it and the front rear bearing retainers as the offset front/rear output shaft, replacing the stock solid front output shaft. The split shaft lets you disengage the front while still driving the rear output of the shaft. Here is a pic of a modified 205 retaining both outputs...

In your application you would utilize only the offset rear output.

what_tcase.jpg

Many thanks!!

I had to read it about 15 times but it finally clicked!

I have aquired the Cummins and the Allison AT 545 auto tranny.
The Cummins is about 3 inches longer than the Toyota I-6. Im sure its a bit taller, but im not concerned about that Yet.
What I am concerned about is the down time it will take me to install this project.
Im thinking of waiting till next years budget to finish the project. This will give me plenty of time to figure out in more detail what all will be needed to make this happen.
I am going to most likely need a body lift, So 3 inches should do the trick.
My plan is to use marks adapters 3" body lift kit, and then use the rubber isolaters on top of that to minimize vibrations in the cab. What do you think?
Then im going to have to lengthen and fab some parts, ie radiator, bumper etc.
After the body lift, ill have to find an Adapter to go from the At545 to my stock transfer case. Since there is nothing wrong with my current transfer case, im gonna use it untill I save for a newer one, either a nvp273 or an atlas.
The body lift will also help with the rubbing I experince with the 37" tires.
Ill keep you posted,
-Ron

:) cool go for it. In most other countries you can get a deisel cruiser gas sucks. I was thinking of doing this when my motor dies but i was thing much smaller. Going to need better brakes I think.

Yeah, the another thing I need. Rotors and brakes.
I think I am going to see what I can do about cutting the frame mounts to the body, and then weld them 3" higher. I think Ill have a better ride, and I wont have to worry about the added stress from the spacers alone.
Then Ill put in a roll cage to tie to the frame for added strength, and add a few more cross members. Then Ill have to get rid of the airbag. Or pull the fuse.
So many things needed... so little money. :doh:

If you ever need a hand shoot me a msg. I'm in the NW part of the valley.

I love motor swaps!

Oh, your close, Im 101 and I-17
But unfortuantally I have a HOA. One neighbor in partictualr frowns every time she sees me open my garage. Have to find somewhere do down my truck for a week or two.
The cummins is sitting in next to the opening, lucky for her I dont drive the 80 any more cause of rising gas prices... Soon Ill make my own bio diesel, and hopefully find a way to convert it to cng or lpg, and grap that Alt. Fuel plate.

Well, Its been almost 7 months, for the last three weeks I have been working on putting in my 3" body lift, and getting ready to install the Cummins engine.
With in 3 weekends, ( 6 days) I have removed the Toyota engine, transmission, transfercase, intearior, and all wiring connected to the engine/tranny. I have Installed the Bodylift, and as of tonight, I have the Cummins hanging from the hoist. I have lots of Picts.. but... I have to get them developed first. I have a few picts here.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=81202

l think this thing is going to be cool. but I don't like the dana 60 idea. The toyota landcrusier axles are almost as strong as most dana 60s with better ground clearance. Go bigger and or stronger. And I would do it right away. Why risk breaking down and spoiling a weekend of fun.

Good luck and keep the bodylift to a min.
:cheers:

V8 swapp for 80 series wanted? Any side money need to be made?

Anyone out there that can do a FI 350 swap on a 80 series for a resonable price, not the 10k plus quotes I've been getting from shops? I live in Northern Ca, but use my cruser for work all over the country, so any place in the US would'nt be a problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom