Help With Pricing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about selling one of my 60's to make more room in my shop building and get it to someone who can use it more than I do. I have 2 other 60's that I use a lot and I don't need 3.

It is a white 1984 model, brown interior, about 170K miles, bone stock except for desmog (which I did properly using Jim C parts and the "How to Desmog an FJ60" bible).

I purchased it 6-7 years ago from a guy in Arizona, where it had spent its entire life. As a result it has almost no rust on the frame or body and the paint appears to be all original (except for liftgate, as noted below). There are a couple of very small surface rust spots, one on the driver door pillar and two above the liftgate. These are very minor. The frame has no rust and I keep it covered in Fluid Film to prevent it from starting. The 60 has been garaged since the day I received it and driven mavbe 200 miles per year. There are two minor dents, one on each front fender by the headlight trim from someone who apparently did not know how to judge distance real well when backing up. There is also one small dent in the driver side lower rear quarter panel.

When it was delivered I was amazed at how nice it was - exactly as advertised. The interior is super nice and clean as well with just one small crack in the dash speaker grille. There was a good bit of dirt under the hood but the engine cleaned up really nice. I had never seen a rust free 2F air cleaner before. It ran and drove beautifully but I did a full baseline on it, with OEM tune up parts and changed all fluids.

The liftgate paint appeared to not be original, although it is a good match. On closer inspection (near the hinges, underneath) it looks to me like it was replaced with a tan liftgate and repainted white. The liftgate is excellent, no rust or visible bodywork so I am thinking the original must have been damaged somehow.

So, moving on to the only real issue I found. While inspecting it after delivery I realized something that had NOT been advertised. Where was the little blue A/C power button? Uh-Oh. Popped the hood, no A/C lines etc. Holy S*%# ! I live in SE Texas and just bought a vehicle without A/C! Truth be told, I did not even realize at the time that 60's were available without factory A/C. I was initially pretty angry but I was so happy with the vehicle (otherwise) and the price that I just got over it.

So yes, that is the only significant bad. No air conditioning. I had collected a lot of parts to add factory AC, but decided to use them to restore the AC in one of my other 60's that I use more.

On the good side, besides the overall condition of the truck, I have done the following since purchase:

New Clutch
New rear main seal
New Clutch slave and master/fluid flush
New rear differential pinion seal
New brake master/fluid flush
Transfer case rebuild
New SOR driver seat cushion (professionally installed with original seat fabric)
New SOR front seat Tuff Duck covers
Jim C carb rebuild
New Remflex manifold gasket
valve adjustment/cover gasket
Annual oil/filter changes with Rotella 20W50
Full tune up with OEM plugs, wires, cap, filters
Changed all fluids, diffs, trans, coolant, PS fluid, etc.
Full desmog using Jim C parts

The truck does not leak a drop of anything. It runs and drives extremely well.

Things I would do to make it a daily or long range driver (besides adding A/C if in a hot climate):

Tires are getting old (it still has the goodyear duratracs that were on it when I purchased it, plenty of tread)
Battery (I replaced it and it is working fine, but getting old)
Oil galley plug fix (galley plug is dry but I have been meaning to do the fix)
New shocks, possibly new rear springs (they are pretty flat)
Needs carpet in the cargo area and back of rear seat (it was missing when I purchased it).

That is as honest a description as I can give. I have a lot of photos, but need to take more before posting.

Any thoughts on a fair asking price would be appreciated. I know pictures are worth way more than words so I can try to make a link to a good set.

Thanks

White '84.jpeg

This may come off as a kinda a chicken-sh** reply, but what do you want to get for it? I would say you are in the driver's seat with regards to pricing these days. Its a good looking un-molested truck and lots been done on it already. Its kinda worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Being in Texas as well its not a truck I would be interested in without A/C. But plenty of places are temperate enough that folks likely could look past that considering the rust situation with this one. No A/C maybe sentences this truck to a new life somewhere cooler overall and thus a potentially more rust promoting environment (as in not a rust friendly state like Arizona). But hard to say what kind of pricing this thing could command.

Put it on one of those auction sites, or right here on mud classifieds and let her rip. Seems sky's the limit for pricing on quality examples. GLWS and HTH.

I saw a tan, rust free and unmodified 60 FS on Bend Craigslist a week or so ago. Owner had done a lot of maintenance, all with OEM parts. Asking price was $16K. I thought that was a good deal, so watched to see how long it stayed up on CL. It was gone in 2 days.

This guy is looking for a 62 but maybe you could convince him to go round eye:

Nice looking cruiser! I wish I had the room for it. None of my previous FJ60's had a working A/C so I wouldn't worry so much about it. It would be quite rare to have one that the A/c is working. Would be a good truck for Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc. GLWS! As stated before, figure what you want for it and go from there.

Since I just purchased an 1986 FJ60, I would have been interested between $20-25K. The non A/C issue takes a little off the value, but not as much as rust.

It’s hard to find an original untouched truck of this age. Which also hopefully means the wiring does look like a rats nest.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I mentioned it to my oldest son yesterday. He is a gear head but has always stayed with old Chevy or Ford trucks (unlike my youngest who loves 60's). He said he is interested in getting it, so let me see how that plays out before I do anything else.

I found some more pics on my phone, here are 5 random ones. The C channel photo was taken before I started keeping fluid film on it. There was just light surface rust and Arizona dirt on the frame.

thumbnail_IMG_5772.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5766.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5776.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5754.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom