Help! The gremlins have my oil press gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Firstly, my oil pressure sender was completely rusted away...so I replaced it....but my gauge still wasn;t happy.

I traced all the wires....good power, replaced a ground....but still my gauge wasn;t happy.

Dissassembled my instrument cluster and removed the unhappy gauge and the internals are all black and melted! This leads to 2 questions....

1) Are oil pressure gauges available for replacement?
2) What would cause the gauge to melt? (I'm thinking the rusted pressure sender shorted....or could that white rectangular ?voltage regulator? on the back of the cluster be related somehow (its about 1/2"x 3" on the rear bottom of the cluster)?)

Questions relate to an 87 BJ70 with a 24V 3B...thanks to all who help me fight these electrical gremlins!

Cheers
Darryl

Cruiser D said:
Firstly, my oil pressure sender was completely rusted away...so I replaced it....but my gauge still wasn;t happy.

I traced all the wires....good power, replaced a ground....but still my gauge wasn;t happy.

Dissassembled my instrument cluster and removed the unhappy gauge and the internals are all black and melted! This leads to 2 questions....

2) What would cause the gauge to melt? (I'm thinking the rusted pressure sender shorted....or could that white rectangular ?voltage regulator? on the back of the cluster be related somehow (its about 1/2"x 3" on the rear bottom of the cluster)?)

Questions relate to an 87 BJ70 with a 24V 3B...thanks to all who help me fight these electrical gremlins!

Cheers
Darryl

The gauges are very very sensitive to irregular electrical current.
Yes they can be replaced but they are expensive. I think I paid $150 for a used one in OZ. Probabaly better to buy the whole gauge cluster if you can find a good one.
And probably cheaper to fit an aftermarket mechanical gauge if your not worried about dashboard asthetics

Cruiser D said:

Cheers
Darryl

In answer to Q1,the gauges will almost certainly be avaiable to order from any decent Toyota dealer but at ££££££/$$$$$$$.

Q2. Grounding of the signal wire from the sender will smoke your gauge,I've done it.The coil which deflects the needle simply overheats and melts.

thanks for the replies....it definetely looks like it fried...

Does anyone know what the small white rectangular thing does? There are two wires (yellow and black) that connect it to the circuit panel.

I suppose it would be futile to try and rewind the melted coils on the gauge?

Cheers
D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom