Help on new bike choice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m look to get a new bike and like most I want one all around bike for me. I will not be racing and or doing extreme hardcore. I like to have a bike to ride around the neighborhood however I would like to ride light to moderate trails, dirt roads. I have narrowed it down to this bike do to (price, size, & components). I want a bike that will encourage me to keep riding. Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO I hope this link works. I need a large bike I’m 6’4’’ so I’m looking at the 21inch.
What do you think about this bike?
What do you think about 29er?
With the riding season about over will 09 bikes usually go on sale, Should I wait and see if they offer sales and or see what 2010 has to offer.
All help will be appreciated.

I tell everybody to ride as many bikes as you can. The right bike will find you.

This would be tough to do w/ the Motobecane - unless you're in Texas near the Bikes Direct b&m stores.
I'd suggest riding as many bikes locally w/ similar geometries, materials and build kits as the Fantom 29Pro to help you make your decision.

I personally would have no prob buying from BD, but be aware that they offer zero CS after the purchase. I either do maintenance myself or pay a LBS to do it for me.

Thanks for the Help!
Will 09 bikes usually go on sale, Should I wait and see if they offer sales and or see what 2010 has to offer?

I'm 6'5" and wouldn't own anything other than a 29er at this point... Look at the Redline d440. I think it is one of the most amazing values in the cycling world. I own one of these and a Monocog Flight 29er. Both are bad ass.

Redline D440 29er Reviews

I'd buy last years model without a doubt if I could find one.

I would also suggest a 29er. Redline is a good bike. I would wait untill the 09 bikes go on sale. Or some times the best value is a used bike, but that can mean some risk so that may not be the best option in your case.

dont get a bike of any1 elsez choice!
look for 1 which suites your structure, powerful enough to match your passion for bikes

A 29'er is a good choice. Also, a Cyclocross bike is also another option. Good on the road, moderate trails and dirt and fire roads. I run 35mm Club Roost Cross Terra tires which have a smoother center tread and more aggressive outer tread. They ride smooth on the road (I have no problem keeping up with my road riding buddies), and track really well off road.

I'm 6' 6" tall and there aren't any off the rack bikes that really fit properly. Sure I can make something work by using longer stems and seat posts, but nothing sucks more than riding a bike that doesn't really fit you. With that said, I have to go custom. I've had a number of frame & forks built for me over the years. My last one is a Zancanato Cyclocross bike which you can see if you click on the link to my rig in my sig line. At 6' 4", you are likely in the same boat. If you can spring it, nothing is better than having a bike built to your size, power, and riding style. A good builder can tune it to perform best to the type of riding you plan to do.

Best of luck,
William

I built up a Gary Fisher X Caliber 29er with an On One carbon fork for what you describe, trails and around town. Works well. WTB Vulpine Race 29er Tire 29x2.1 is a nice tire for around town and light trail work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom