Help! Need Alternator, St George, UT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
shadowlightpsych.com
My alternator is slowly dying on my 1987 FJ60. It will charge a little unless there is a large load like headlights on. Worried it won’t get me home tomorrow, 5 hours north. No parts houses have them. Waiting for the parts houses in Vegas to open up. If I have to make the 2-hour trip I guess I’ll do that. Hoping there’s someone out there in the St George area who might have a line on a used one. Or ideas on how to possibly revive the one I have. It’s only a couple years old, maybe 30k miles, an AC Delco I bought from Rock Auto.

image.jpg

@woody can you help Shawn out?

NOBODY has an alternator. Not even in Vegas. So I dropped the battery off at Napa. They’re going to get a good charge on it, and the hope is a weak alternator with a strong battery will get me home tomorrow 🤞🏼

I don't have anything 60 related, and am 1500 miles from home.
Thanks anyway Woody. Hope you’re someplace fun!!!

@atomicshawn

It doesn't take much to rebuild the 60 stock alternator if you can wait. Obviously that's not going to be fun with the holiday probably keeping most rebuilders closed until Tuesday.

If you can get your truck to a well-stocked auto parts store, and depending on the skill-stack of the desk jockey, they can test it and tell you if it's perhaps just the regulator, which usually is indicated by the headlamp issue ...

Also, FWIW, you might be able to fabracoble a similar vintage Corolla or Camry alt, at least enough to get you home. Also, there may be a 10 o'clock clocked version of the alternator, that will work, but it's not ideal.

Regulator part # 27700-38100 and newer # 27700-28030 (IC)

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom