Help - Engine died while driving and will not start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2010 FJ Cruiser. Last November I was driving along the highway when the FJ engine just quit. I popped it into neutral while moving and cranked the key and it started right backup so I continued on. I drove it home and parked it in the garage. Next morning it didn't want to start. It sounded like it wanted to start but was not getting enough fuel. I assumed either water in the fuel or bad fuel pump. Drained the fuel and read through some forums that suggested bad fuel pump so in December I also replaced the OEM pump with the URD aftermarket kit. Engine fired right up and ran just fine and I thought I sorted the problem till this past mid-February went, coming back from a trip to Fairbanks it did the same thing - engine suddenly quit while I was driving. Cranking the engine over it would want to fire but would not run. $400 tow later I pulled the pump (again) and pump would run when direct voltage applied. I have power all the way to the plug on top of the fuel pump ring. Figured it might be something electrical so I replaced the engine bay fuel related modules (3) and it fired right up. Also tested the pump pressure and getting +60psi. Engine ran fine till last week, when after parking and shutting it down it would not start back up in the Walgreens parking lot near my house. Had it towed to the local garage where they did all the diagnostics I did plus checked if the aftermarket auto-start/alarm was interfereing with the fuel electronics (not) and tested the fuel pump modulator thingy - which checks out ok according to them. They couldn't diagnose or fix the problem either and suggested a new OEM fuel pump. Although I could be wrong, I do not think it is the fuel pump since it is near brand new and was installed exactly according to the instructions. I spoke to Gadget at URD and he does not think it is the pump either. What else could it be? I could use some help with other ideas on what to look at. I am having it towed back to my house tomorrow. Thanks!

Current codes:
P1603 - Engine stall history
P1604 - Startability malfunction
P1605 - 1. Knock control CPU malfunction 2. Rough Idling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom