Help and botha increase his milage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK....so I am getting a pathetic 150 miles from a tank. Help me figue out what order to do suff to get a bit more milage.
It has a new filter, plugs and wires are newer.
Th EGR is making the check engine light on, so I assume I need to clean that thing up first.
The Cats don't sound clogged at all, and the exhaust is new.
I drive pretty conservatively, so what kind of milage can expect from a full tank?
94 FYI...and I seriously need to order a FSM from somewhere.

Hey, me too!! :hillbilly:

It might be the crappy winter gas. How many gallons are you using before you fill up? These trucks get maybe 14 MPG...

tru....I usually fill up with 19 gal...so almost empty.....so i figure that's about 8mpg...so 14 would be a dream for me. with all highway, i'm probably at 10ish :)

how does our exhaust smell? I was getting 8 aswell but I just replaced my temp sensor and im getting 14 again. Are your O2s origional? Have you checked for codes?

I do have a fuel odor. I assume the o2s are orginal, but Im only pully Code 71 for the egr.
I know new O2s may help a bit, but shouldn;t they pull codes?
I guess I should check the charcoal canister to make sure the bottom port isn;t clogged.
Did the coolant temp sensor pull a code. I figure that is one of the things that either works or doesn't work...not something that slowly goes bad????

I do have a fuel odor. I assume the o2s are orginal, but Im only pully Code 71 for the egr.
I know new O2s may help a bit, but shouldn;t they pull codes?
I guess I should check the charcoal canister to make sure the bottom port isn;t clogged.
Did the coolant temp sensor pull a code. I figure that is one of the things that either works or doesn't work...not something that slowly goes bad????

I had two codes for O2 sensor and two codes for temp sensor, but I replaced my temp sensor and my exhaust smells "good" and my mileage is back up, and it doesnt idle rough anymore. Charcoal canister is something to look at as well, and my O2 sensors are origional and I have 141k, however Toyota suggests changing them every 80k, so im sure that will help as well. And yes the O2s "should" pull codes if something is wrong but the temp sensor can interfeir, but if youre not pulling either then...:confused:

timing adjustment perhaps? possibly add some fuel injection cleaner in there...maybe a maf and tb cleaning. 02 (front at least) change may help. definitely run synths in diffs/tcase/engine. should net you 1-2 mpg's. i used to get 16ish in mine, but recently its slipped to about 14 or so. i do mostly hwy driving, 60-65 mphs w/ cruise control on 315's with arb front and sliders. fwiw, ive also got the obdII version of the EGR fault P0401. it may have something to do with my decrease, but from what i recall, the mileage slip may not be a direct result from the P0401 and i just need to freshen things up abit with a good cleaning and oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom