Hello from Cass County (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OlYellr

SILVER Star
Threads
New to the forum. Just wanted to say hello from Nebraska. Will be posting progress etc. in the main forum too.

Cheers,

IMG_8365 (2).jpg

IMG_8336 (2).JPG

Welcome.
Progress? Looks perfect to me!. Haven't seen this one around in the area.
Would be nice to get a few of these together this summer.

Two cylinders registered 0 in Oct - so in full engine rebuild/clutch since engine out, etc. Taking out the webber and going back to original Carb and air cleaner. Got a used cleaner back from media blasting - pitted AF etc. as seems common - sanding the air cleaner after the epoxy primer - is the latest efforts until lifters arrive.

After that will work on the windows to roll up/down - rebuild knucks, and hubs... never ends...

I am game to meet. Especially when it runs. I heard there is a LC event around Rapid City every summer (Black Hills Cruiser ???)

Two cylinders registered 0 in Oct - so in full engine rebuild/clutch since engine out, etc. Taking out the webber and going back to original Carb and air cleaner. Got a used cleaner back from media blasting - pitted AF etc. as seems common - sanding the air cleaner after the epoxy primer - is the latest efforts until lifters arrive.

After that will work on the windows to roll up/down - rebuild knucks, and hubs... never ends...

I am game to meet. Especially when it runs. I heard there is a LC event around Rapid City every summer (Black Hills Cruiser ???)

IMG_8395 (2).jpg

IMG_9076 (2).jpg

IMG_9320 (2).jpg

Nice, if you have a good local engine guy, you might have to share the name. I have a couple of F engines that might need help soon.

Nice, if you have a good local engine guy, you might have to share the name. I have a couple of F engines that might need help soon.
I was going to go with Spanel Engine in Lincoln - came recommended - I went to shop - wow - but he was 8+ months out and I wanted to get on road sooner.

It is a long story and I need to get some permissions before I get too far to protect the innocent... if you will. Basically, getting help from another MUDDR in the KC area. - but we met not in this forum and need to check with him before I blast anything on the net.

Welcome. Here are my 2 FJ40's. The yellow one (78) is mine and the tan one (77) was my fathers. My father had someone at the Toyota dealership in Las Vista rebuild his 2F engine. I think he did it on his own time so he didn't charge dealership prices. He is very knowledgeable is everything FJ40 wise. I can look thru our receipts to see if I can find his name and number.

20170826_111406.jpg

Wow - Sweet Rigs - I used to live in Papillion many many moons ago (moved away in 2006) and wish I would have seen your Cruisers!

Thanks for the info as well. Having someone knowledgeable and local would be awesome - this is my first LC and since Oct at that. The person wrenching my engine is in KC.

I have some cancer on mine - does anybody have thoughts on where to take it (unsure if I want to learn welding anytime in the next few years)?

I was going to go with Spanel Engine in Lincoln - came recommended - I went to shop - wow - but he was 8+ months out and I wanted to get on road sooner.

It is a long story and I need to get some permissions before I get too far to protect the innocent... if you will. Basically, getting help from another MUDDR in the KC area. - but we met not in this forum and need to check with him before I blast anything on the net.
I talked to my engine mechanic today ... contact me if interested with a message and I will share details vs post it in the wild

Gents, I live in Papillion and was hoping folks would be interested in meeting up with fellow Toyota 4x4 enthusiasts.

Same! A few things with me, I leave for 6 months and won't be back until July. Will have 'net access. (don't have FB account - can PM my email too to stay in that loop)

If people want a quick meet prior to Sunday, let me know - Easy jaunt to Omaha - There is that wine place in Downtown Papio (Twisted Vine).

And throwing it out there - meeting a friend (who also wrenches - and will be working on my Rig while I am gone with my guy in KC) for Sushi in Lincoln Friday evening - if anybody interested.

I suspect there are several of us who are not on and have zero interest in FB. So, if you want to plan something more than a few days in advance, post it on the meet up forum here. There are a fair number of us hiding in the woodwork.

I suspect there are several of us who are not on and have zero interest in FB. So, if you want to plan something more than a few days in advance, post it on the meet up forum here. There are a fair number of us hiding in the woodwork.
Yeah I hate FB as well...deleted my actual account in 2013. Just created one this past year to talk vehicles with local enthusiasts.

Agree with Grench. Cross-postong is a good idea. I compiled an email list of locals years ago to try to use for get togethers, but I found messaging through here worked as well. With enough notice it can be done. All ’yotas will broaden the circle too.

The main bearings have oversized thrusts. So get right ones and should be putting Humpty Dumpty back together.

335C7EE5-4A1B-4263-BF38-86591750B498.jpeg

21508691-0D47-4C62-8D43-F8AD5474A378.jpeg

0B01F630-1889-400D-BD72-4BC0C443EFE1.jpeg

882416E0-4D7B-4C41-9C71-3A13F35D9F31.jpeg

664735F4-3EC8-44C5-8C61-A33D3C427320.jpeg

Got the meter back and odometer fixed, gages checked and cleaned up connections. Odometer set to zero to match miles on engine. Different plate too with less rust. Will referb the old one at some point (like the 55 mph marker one the original) , but the donor one looks better with less rust for now. Was quoted close to 800 to have someone clean it up. Pass.

Engine should go in end of March/First of April. Lifters were a pain to secure. Engine was .05 over bore and crank was .025.

Then when running, will assess knuckles, steering, axles/pumpkin.

Is it me, or would blow and strippers be less expensive than a 40?

(Pictures before/after referb and fixing odometer etc)

E6BD2819-68DF-4E44-92D0-BD1C5ADEA07A.jpeg

252EFC92-00CC-463E-8FEC-F874B1401AE1.jpeg

AC2A5C99-DF92-444B-A6EA-6D98286E35E8.jpeg

140A4F6F-3F97-4CAD-82B2-20E3CC4EF3D5.jpeg

BFCE4520-7971-4747-AC7A-866076BEB0E2.jpeg

40EBA385-622A-4236-A72C-C83C12D6F4FB.jpeg

Looking good and coming long nicely! Nothing is cheap nowadays…

Finally, yesterday was the day for the engine removal - some bolts would not come easy. All and all about 3.75 hours to remove the engine. Panning for goodies too (not really ... did find nuggets in the oil pan - just a fan of sarcasm).

IMG-4554.jpg

IMG-4487.jpg

IMG-4555.jpg

IMG-4556.jpg

IMG-4557.jpg

IMG-4558.jpg

IMG-4559.PNG

Well a few weeks later...Installed rebuilt 2f engine along with clutch stuff (master/slave cylinders, etc). waiting for the water pump etc. PO installed weber carb and threw the accelerator linkage away (weber uses cable link) - chasing parts to get so can return to original carb. Will put cleaned-up valve cover on once done chasing rabbits down the holes.

Discovered manifold warped. Also re-discovered, I like beer in these moments.

67946029881--FA7EFFCC-C661-49C6-ABED-508303955291.JPEG

IMG-1731.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom