hello everyone... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can wheel over one section of a local trail in around 5 mins fully locked. Another cruiserhead I was with 3 weeks ago broke his PTO winch, broke my strap, then I winched him up because he has open diffs. I took us about an hour.

I go for choice 1.

Cheers

WELCOME! :D

Unless you plan on doing any hardcore wheeling I would opt for the one with 5sp as long as they are in similar condition.

But that is just me as I would much rather driving a 5sp than an AT anyday, Japan or N. America. ;p

Also you might have easier time getting some parts for the gasoline model than for 1HD-T (heard that 1HZ (non-turbo) engine was available for a few years in Canada).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mot ;)

Auto VS Stick...

It depends what your using the cruiser for .Personally I'd go with a stick. Its a lot easier to drive in the snow with a stick. However, what you should get would probably depend on where you live. If your streets have a traffic light or stop sign every 100 ft. then definitely go with the auto. But if you have long and wide mile roads, go with the man, you won't regret it and chicks dig the stick :D

yeah i live in the city and my 4runner right now is standard. just going to work from my place is a 5 min drive when there is no cars on the road at all. i go through 6 traffic llights with in the 5 min. imagine that when its on a normal day. standard gets annoying sometimes but it works great when im on the trail. never tried autos in the trail yet so dont know how it performs. i was leaning towards the auto just because she's an everyday commuter rig too. kinda busy to go on the trails now too since i have 2 jobs now. i guess you can say she would be a pavement princess in the week days and a warrior on the week ends

What ever you do make sure it's locked!

Auto is better for the trails, especially steep hill climbs. There's no engine braking on the way down, as you would get with the 5-spd, but if you put the auto into 1st gear it helps.

Before you buy a JDM check out some of the very reputable importers in the International section. Some sleazy importers bring in junk and sell for big $$$. Make sure you find out if the Big End Bearing has been replaced. This is a common problem on early 1HD-T's.

try www.luxuryimports.ca
www.mustang.bc.ca
www.risingsunimports.ca
www.outbackimports.ca

I would never buy a JDM vehicle from some Joe Blow dealer lot. Just MHO.

Option 2; 5sp.

Lockers are a dime a dozen aftermarket if you plan to wheel. That and you'd have a diesel. In the absence of a need for speed or an absolute need for lockers from the factory, the diesel IMO is hands down you're best option. For engine life and MPG alone.

And who cares about engine braking-it aint bad in a diesel anyway-by nature of the beast.

That and you have the ability to source parts there-even if you wait a few days. Here I love my 3B best of all my Cruisers and I have NO way of getting parts to it-kinda odd but true.

Option 3 - By both, pull the axles off the locked rig swap to the 5speed, sell the non unlocked auto rig. Anyone can add lockers yes, and most of the time probably don't need them. BUT when you do and you have them.....any amount of time/work/money paied for its self. I'd also say that having the stock toyota lockers is way way better than having aftermarket.....just as in having the toyota diesel and not a swaped non toyota engine in the rig.

aamiggia said:
What ever you do make sure it's locked!

Auto is better for the trails, especially steep hill climbs. There's no engine braking on the way down, as you would get with the 5-spd, but if you put the auto into 1st gear it helps.

Before you buy a JDM check out some of the very reputable importers in the International section. Some sleazy importers bring in junk and sell for big $$$. Make sure you find out if the Big End Bearing has been replaced. This is a common problem on early 1HD-T's.

try www.luxuryimports.ca
www.mustang.bc.ca
www.risingsunimports.ca
www.outbackimports.ca

I would never buy a JDM vehicle from some Joe Blow dealer lot. Just MHO.

i was actually looking at mustang.bc.ca and risingsunimports.ca. the other ones are just way to far from my location

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom