Hello and new Bay Area Cruiser Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there!

Picked up my 2002 w/ 175k miles in the Bay Area about a month ago. Since then I have done some basic maintenance and am working towards a full baseline.

New to the Bay Area, and any off-roading tips or info is appreciated. Before the LC I had a JKU Willy’s, and a TJ (family also had an XJ), but I finally decided to jump ship. I don’t expect to be running the rubicon anytime soon, but I plan to run some trails and use it as my camping and ski rig.

I have limited space living in San Francisco (all the work I have done has been on the street or neighbors half driveway), so anyone that wants to help turn a wrench or let me use their driveway is welcome to a sixer or two on me!

I do plan on adding some mods but planning on running fairly stock for the first few months / year.

Completed
- 285/75/16 wrangler duratracs (it had 11 year old bald tires when I bought it)
- mud flap eliminators
- running board removal
- trail tailor recovery points
- ripped out terrible aftermarket dvd system
- replaced headrests destroyed by aftermarket dvd system
- replaced both blown front woofers
- replaced both OEM tweeters cause why not
- replaced broken factory antenna with a stubby

Planning on heater Ts and maybe spark plugs next weekend.

I did a ton of research on this forum before I made my purchase, and because of the knowledge I got here, I think I got a pretty good deal on a car that basically had only a few surface level issues. Happy to be apart of the fam, so thanks for the help already!

buck

ECFBF7AF-3E9F-4406-BB35-A32FE943F4CF.jpeg

Congrats on the purchase!

I'm in the East bay but shoot me a pm if you're over this way and need a driveway. Happy to lend a hand/space.

Few other things I would do on a new rig:

- clean the mass air flow sensor with proper maf cleaner spray. Takes all of 2 mins and my cruiser is particularly thankful when i do this.

- lubricate the driveshafts

- definitely change those heater T's

- remove slack in the throttle cable at the throttle body

- diff fluids

- flush coolant with peoper red Toyota stuff. I also bought a $10 Bluetooth obd scanner that i use with the free torque app to keep an eye on coolant temps (ptsd from my 80 series days)

Other than that go and use it. These things are crazy capable in stock form. Especially with your 33's

- remove slack in the throttle cable at the throttle body

Thanks for the info and can do! Some of this is on my list, but curious about this one. I noticed just this week a “springy” sound when pushing the gas pedal down, is this related? If not I’ll just check out both. Are you hitting any trails during all this?

Congratulations and Welcome!

Looks like you got yourself a solid rig. I'd also check and see if it has cabin airfilters, if it does, I'd change those out. If it doesn't, consider the retrofit.

The "springy" sound sounds like something different. I'd start with some Toyota Yoga and look at the accelerator pedal and bracket.

Congratulations and Welcome!

Looks like you got yourself a solid rig. I'd also check and see if it has cabin airfilters, if it does, I'd change those out. If it doesn't, consider the retrofit.

looks like retrofit it is :(

AD2F718F-7C39-4C81-B78D-97428A3A258B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom