Heater floor duct screws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do you remove these screws? Are they even screws?
20220520_124224.jpg
I'm trying to change the speedometer cable on my 1987 60 series and the duct work is in my way. I put a Phillips on them and they just spin and they don't appear to just pop out.

I think this is the part. Maybe this picture will help. It is a combination push rivet with a threaded insert. Maybe you need to put something behind the outer ring to lever it away from the duct to squeeze the insert to get it to twist out. Once a little bit unscrews I think you can just pull it out. Or pry the insert out with a small screw driver.

1653069575928.png

Reactions: OSS
I think this is the part. Maybe this picture will help. It is a combination push rivet with a threaded insert. Maybe you need to put something behind the outer ring to lever it away from the duct to squeeze the insert to get it to twist out. Once a little bit unscrews I think you can just pull it out. Or pry the insert out with a small screw driver.

View attachment 3013951
Thanks!

Removed these the other day and had the same problem with them just spinning forever. Eventually I resorted to some needlenose pliers to mangle the one on the left enough to pull it out without putting too much pressure on the ducting itself. That allows you to pull the duct to the left off and access the inside of the central duct, then I was able to use a long flathead screwdriver pressing on the back of the two on the right while pulling gently with the needlenose pliers. In the moment I couldn't think of any other way to get them out and while one ended up being unusable, I figured it was better than breaking the ducting itself. Thanks to 2mbb for posting the P/N, I did a quick search the other day and had no idea how to find replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom