header issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.currentcutting.com
I bought a 72 55 with a bad 2f motor awhile back and have since rebuilt it and am finishing things up. It came with a tri - valley 6 in to one header that I was not impressed with but it's what I've got. I had a buddy weld all the carcks in and actually installed it. Now that I have been getting up to speed here on this site I've been enlightened on the finer points of the tri valley 6 to 1 header. I took it off today and it's definately lacking in metal where the lower two intake manifold bolts go. The intake has been milled at the bolt hole locations to the same .40" thickness of the header but without using some double extra large washers, the lower two bolts do not contact the header at all. If I use bigger wahsers I'll have to grind the intake some more to get the thickness to match. I don't want to spend time and money on something that seems cheap to begin with.
What should I do now? I'v been reading about alternatives but for the 55 with the stock steering box location there is not much available.

Do I stick with these and weld some more material on to the header to catch the lower two bolts? Then should I have it surfaced? Any suggettion are appreciated.

You can use half washers to make up the difference. I'd do that over milling any more off the intake.

GL

Ed

How would half washers work if the header is missing material? I think I would have to weld more metal on to the header to bring it in close enough to get the washer to grab it. The intake has been previously milled to the same thickness as the header but my no. 1 problem is the fact the two lower bolt areas on the header are short of coming in contact with the washer.

Also, I am wondering if this header is worth the trouble or are they just going to continue to give me head aches? And if I abandon this, what are my options?

Thanks again

:doh: Reading comprehension..............................D-

You could take some 3/16 bar stock and radius one end to fit the recess of the intake, drill the hole for your manifold stud and cut it to length to engage the header flange. Just an idea........

Ed

Dengol you gave me an idea. What about taking quarter inch material and making custom washer/tabs? The washer would sit over the intake manifold and the tab would extend out about 1" across the header. Then I can weld the tab side to the header. I think that might put enough pressure on the header to seal it against the head.

Well, you could do that, but I don't think welding is necessary and it might heat up the flange to where you might need it surfaced. If you have room to use 1/4" stuff, do it. I just suggested 3/16 to make sure you have full thread engagement on the nut.

GL

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom