head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I'm sorry to say I chickened out!
I had head gasket done at toyota.
Turns out head was cracked in a couple of places and someone had put a crappy after market head gasket on.
Well I now have new head, stainless steel combustion chambers and so on.
Trouble now is, even when plugged in for 8 hours it smokes up the whole neighborhood. The smoke is white and lasts for like ten minutes. I'm guessing timing is not right what do you guys think?
thanks!

How long have you had it? If you've only just got it, the cracked head/blown gasket may have been masking a poor bottom end. Now that the head does not leak the combustion pressure is possibly going out through the rings. Timing on the diesel does not change as easiliy as on a gas engine. Usually once the injection pump is positioned correctly the timing should remain set until someone plays with the injection pump position. Take a look at the pipe coming from the push rod cover and see if the smoke is coming from there. You'd see smoke from the pushrod cover breather even after the smoke has cleared if the bottom end is getting bad. If you're not getting any smoke from there then get the timing checked. I'd go to a diesel injection shop for that though rather than Toyota. Have you done a compression test? When you start it do you wait for the glow plug lights to go out or do you wait for the glow plugs to finish heating? That does NOT happen at the same time. I wait until I see the voltmeter go up slightly after the glow plug light is off. Usually you can hear the relays click off as well at that time.
Remember though that with a diesel, some smoke is to be expected until the engine has warmed up to operating temperature.

There does not seem to be smoke coming from pushrod side cover.
The mechanic at toyota is looking at it again, he did not adjust the timing yet, he said he is going to have to investigate.
I had the injectors rebuilt as well and glow plugs were checked over.
It is smoking way more than normal!
Thanks
I will keep you updated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom