head gasket replacement - my lessons learned (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
I read probably a dozen different threads on the subject before I went into this but most didn't address these points.

1. don't attempt to take off the lower manafold off the head while it's in the truck - almost impossible.
2. really pay attention to the routing of the lower wiring harness: the basic layout is pritty simple but i didn't watch close enough to which side of certain hoses etc it ran on. ended up threading it though the truck a few time only to have it not fit (close but not close enough).
3. go ahead and get new head bolts along with a new gasket. i found a bunch of threads on broken head bolts, stripped and difficult to remove head bolts if i searched for it specifically. I was lucky to have the correct size tap to chase the threads otherwise, get one of those too.
4. even with all the pictures i took, there were a couple of vacuum lines at the end which were very difficult to remember where they went.

It also saves time assembling the intake to the head at the bench and installing it as one unit to the block. It’s a bit heavy to do by yourself though.

I read probably a dozen different threads on the subject before I went into this but most didn't address these points.

1. don't attempt to take off the lower manafold off the head while it's in the truck - almost impossible.
2. really pay attention to the routing of the lower wiring harness: the basic layout is pritty simple but i didn't watch close enough to which side of certain hoses etc it ran on. ended up threading it though the truck a few time only to have it not fit (close but not close enough).
3. go ahead and get new head bolts along with a new gasket. i found a bunch of threads on broken head bolts, stripped and difficult to remove head bolts if i searched for it specifically. I was lucky to have the correct size tap to chase the threads otherwise, get one of those too.
4. even with all the pictures i took, there were a couple of vacuum lines at the end which were very difficult to remember where they went.

Which engine did you work on-3.0 or 2.4?

22re I believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom