head gasket replacement - my lessons learned

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by steffan, Sep 14, 2018.

1. steffan

steffan SILVER Star

I read probably a dozen different threads on the subject before I went into this but most didn't address these points.

1. don't attempt to take off the lower manafold off the head while it's in the truck - almost impossible.
    2. really pay attention to the routing of the lower wiring harness: the basic layout is pritty simple but i didn't watch close enough to which side of certain hoses etc it ran on. ended up threading it though the truck a few time only to have it not fit (close but not close enough).
    3. go ahead and get new head bolts along with a new gasket. i found a bunch of threads on broken head bolts, stripped and difficult to remove head bolts if i searched for it specifically. I was lucky to have the correct size tap to chase the threads otherwise, get one of those too.
    4. even with all the pictures i took, there were a couple of vacuum lines at the end which were very difficult to remember where they went.

old87yota and Jonathan_Ferguson like this.
  2. FrankTorres

FrankTorres

Media:
    Albums:
    It also saves time assembling the intake to the head at the bench and installing it as one unit to the block. It’s a bit heavy to do by yourself though.

3. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    Which engine did you work on-3.0 or 2.4?

4. Mudder

Mudder

22re I believe

5. steffan

steffan SILVER Star

correct - 22re

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.