Hdj81 brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my opinion, talking from experience with both braided brake line and the stock factory rubber ones. The rubber ones are far better, strong and longer lasting than the stainless braided.

Man did you not notice the crunchy sounds while breaking? Well good thing their fixed now.
Was sounding a little funny but not really bad. I mean the brakes were a very big upgrade and everything combined made it so I can lock it up with very little pressure, pedal feels better than before. We shall see how the braided lines hold up, but not very happy with fit.

Probably going to put the part time kit in the 81 series, I see Cruiser outfitters has them with locking hubs.

Probably going to put the part time kit in the 81 series, I see Cruiser outfitters has them with locking hubs.

Just FYI, I had a part time kit installed on my truck, and I think it's the only "upgrade" that I've done that I'm not really sure if it was worth it. The two benefits I've had from the upgrade are: smoother ride at highway speeds (probably an issue with my front drive shaft), and not having to put urgency on a front end rebuild when it comes time. I saw no change in fuel consumption.

What I don't like about the change to part time is that now if I want to be in 4wd I have to have the centre diff locked. For driving around town in snowy conditions you potentially have to keep switching out the CDL depending on road conditions. Also, highway winter driving. Depending on how fast you want to drive with the center diff locked. I feel that you just lose some winter driving confidence and you can really feel it. Same goes for driving off road, but more for FSR type speeds. These conditions are really only a very small amount of my driving these days, but now having two kids in the vehicle safety stuff like this is on my mind a lot more than it used to be.

That said, I haven't had any issues driving in the above conditions, so I guess it just goes to driving to the conditions, your driving ability and the capabilities of the vehicle you are driving.

Just FYI, I had a part time kit installed on my truck, and I think it's the only "upgrade" that I've done that I'm not really sure if it was worth it. The two benefits I've had from the upgrade are: smoother ride at highway speeds (probably an issue with my front drive shaft), and not having to put urgency on a front end rebuild when it comes time. I saw no change in fuel consumption.

What I don't like about the change to part time is that now if I want to be in 4wd I have to have the centre diff locked. For driving around town in snowy conditions you potentially have to keep switching out the CDL depending on road conditions. Also, highway winter driving. Depending on how fast you want to drive with the center diff locked. I feel that you just lose some winter driving confidence and you can really feel it. Same goes for driving off road, but more for FSR type speeds. These conditions are really only a very small amount of my driving these days, but now having two kids in the vehicle safety stuff like this is on my mind a lot more than it used to be.

That said, I haven't had any issues driving in the above conditions, so I guess it just goes to driving to the conditions, your driving ability and the capabilities of the vehicle you are driving.
My main concern is the RCV 300M front birf fields spinnng all the time, the harder material tends to wear out sooner. Small things like the amount of wear on the inner axle where the seals contacts shaft tend wear deep in the shaft, secondly is the amount of wear on the birf outer splines and the splined hub flange. Both of those items are completely worn out after 230 000km and needed replacing.

No lockers and 33 tires.

Plus I really like doing donuts in the snow:p

Last edited:
Well parts still keep coming in, RCV 300M axles shafts front and rear, Eaton E lockers front and rear all through my good friend George at Valley Hybrids. Part time kid for the 81 series is next

Jumped into e Lockers today and they arrived, going in deep not sure why maybe mid life crisis even though I am past that age. Bloody lockers in this age were a bigger than I expected price tag, but I had a really good land cruiser friend gift me two differentials new out of a hzj79 mining truck. I will be selling the factory LSD differentials and providing the friends info for payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom