Handlebar Grips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need recommendations for comfy MTB handlebar grips. Something that won't make my hands numb after riding a couple of hours. Right now I've got the stock rubber grips on my GT Backwoods. I do use gloves that are about a decade old now. :eek:

I know a few people who are using these and really love them for those epic all day rides.

The pro reviews on MTBR.com were really good for them as well.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

I typically use a set of either ODI bmx grips or Oury grips depending on whats available.

Last edited:
I've heard complaints on the Ergons from guys with smallish hands... I don't have that problem, nor have I ever tried them. I use Oury's... and get numb fingers on my left hand when I ride. :mad:

I have some ergonomic type grips and I really like them. My hands used to get numb after a long day of riding, but after getting this type of grip they don't. Get youself some new gloves with a little padding too, I think you will like the changes.

I've heard complaints on the Ergons from guys with smallish hands... I don't have that problem, nor have I ever tried them. I use Oury's... and get numb fingers on my left hand when I ride. :mad:

Thats prolly from the bars position, I use to get sleepy hands all the time.

Thats prolly from the bars position, I use to get sleepy hands all the time.

Ive ridden straight bars, nitto torsions, marys, and risers in every configuration I can think of... no help. It's just my pinkie and ring finger on my left hand that goes numb.... cant figure it out.

So looking around I found ESI Chunky Grips. These are silicon and run about $20.
Fuel_Prdct.jpg

Grab On MTN-1 are foam grips for $12.
mtn_1_Bicycle500.jpg

I've never used a silicon or foam grip before. They look promising though. Anyone have experience using either of these?

I've never used a silicon or foam grip before. They look promising though. Anyone have experience using either of these?

I don't know about the new foam grips... but the old ones seemed to rip easy.

i'd think the same would hold true today... In my experiences, foam grips are typically used by weight weenie fanatics trying to save a couple of grams of weight. I've never heard of them being used for their comfort.

I think the Oury's I use are probably silicone based.... and they're a lot cheaper than $20.

My hands go numb every time I ride the road bike, but on my mountain bikes I have oury grips and have never had a numbness problem. They're soft compared to other grips I've tried and are cheap. I highly recommend them.

Blow compressed air under the inside edge of the grips, and they will easily slide off. Do not fill the handlebar with compressed air. It is slightly dangerous and unnecessary.
I like thus type of handlebar. In below pic.
32121_01.jpg

I use the ODI Rogue grips on my bike. I find them pretty comfy as they are squishy silicone as well as being pretty thick.

New gloves would be "handy" too. Try and find some with more padding on the palm, especially the heel of your hand.

ive not had a problem with grips or comfort. maybe i have neutral size hands? but after riding many different styles i prefer slim grips. i have been riding the ODI RUFFIAN clamp on grips and really like them. even though i have grip shifters i run the long full grips so i can move my hands around some.

Ruffian Lock-On Grip (130mm)

Hands going numb is not just from grips, its from the angle that your brake levers are - if they are more horizontal and your hands are pointed forward then it pinches a nerve in your palm.

You brake levers should point down and forward at about a 45 degree angle.

A deathgrip on the bars can also make this a problem and limit your control of the bike on descents.

In a former life, I was a bike mechanic and avid BMX and mountain biker.

-Stumbaugh

PS Racer Lex you still need to roll over one day.

I use the ODI Rogue grips on my bike. I find them pretty comfy as they are squishy silicone as well as being pretty thick.

New gloves would be "handy" too. Try and find some with more padding on the palm, especially the heel of your hand.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I looked at each one and have decided on the ODI Rouge lock-on grips. The Rouges have great reviews on MTBR. I also liked the fact they the Rouges are a bit thicker and have locks on the grip ends to keep them in place. At $20 they are comparable in price with the ESI Chunky grips I was considering. I didn't go with ESI because I don't think they will resist tearing very well when I crash and burn. :crybaby:

D_190%20ODIRR2.jpg

Hands going numb is not just from grips, its from the angle that your brake levers are - if they are more horizontal and your hands are pointed forward then it pinches a nerve in your palm.

You brake levers should point down and forward at about a 45 degree angle.

A deathgrip on the bars can also make this a problem and limit your control of the bike on descents.

In a former life, I was a bike mechanic and avid BMX and mountain biker.

-Stumbaugh

PS Racer Lex you still need to roll over one day.

So I'll bring my Cruiser and MTB over! Anything else you're good at? Do you know anything about Spa's? I need mine serviced! :grinpimp:

I've been swamped with work the past couple of weeks and have been working weekends. I'll send you a PM soon and swing by.

Cool, I have a full on bike shop in my garage. I can't ride until I get my knee replaced in 10+ years but I still wrench on bikes all of the time. One of the few things that I truly enjoy doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom