Halp - First HAM Radio / Newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I missed my test appointment today. I've been studying and taking practice tests for the technician license for a few weeks now and I am ready to take it next time they are running near me.

I have an '08 200 series I am going to install an ICOM 5100a in.

I am thinking a Diamond Hatchback NMO base mounted on the drivers side hood lip with a Larsen 2/70 NMO. I see a lot of guys running much shorter antennas so maybe that is the route I should go instead, but there are so many antenna choices I am kind of unsure exactly which one to go with. The Larsen is a 1/2 wave, and I thought that was sort of what I needed, but the antenna is 37" long. I guess it's not too bad. Is there something I should be looking at instead? 1/2 wave NMO seemed to be the consensus, but again this is my first HAM so I could be way off or concluded bad info.

Thanks in advance!

A 1/2-wave antenna is frequently a good choice, because it does not require a good ground plane to tune up. Hence, it is a good choice for spare tire and rear hatch mounting. Larsen makes a really good 1/2-wave 2M antenna; that's what I use on my 40, that needs a 1/2-wave.

Since you are mounting it on your hood lip, you will get a decent ground plane from the hood (though your radiation pattern will be asymmetrical from being on one side), so you could probably use a 5/8-wave or a 1/4-wave antenna there. But a 5/8-wave will be longer (taller) than a 1/2-wave, if height is a consideration.

The really short 2M antennas you are seeing are 1/4-wave. You will not get as much range with them unless you mount it on top of your roof, preferably in the middle.

Whichever one you choose, you ought to check the SWR and tune the length with an antenna analyzer.

Good luck with your installation.

Here's something to keep in mind. I have a 1/4 wave mounted mid roof on my 80 series. It uses the roof as an excellent ground plane and I get good RX and TX. However, it also fires right into my OEM radio antenna and causes feedback in my speakers if I have the radio on during TX. If I was redoing it I would ...

- go 1/2 wave Larsen
- mount it behind the rear hatch

This would take care of the ground plane issue and keep the antenna out of my line of sight when driving around. Plus if its forward mounted it will be pushed back into the vehicle by trees and what not when your off road. At the rear its more likely to be protected by the bulk of your rig.

Where are you going to use your radio?
What type of terrain?

1/4 wave generally works better in hilly terrain, better with a ground plane.
1/2 wave generally on a flat terrain, does not require a ground plane.
5/8 wave is a compromise between the 1/4 and 1/2, but best on a flat terrain, requires a ground plane.

107223-b392a73cff06f9689b841f28d4a47ea6.jpg
Antenna9pattern.jpg
plot_elevation_uhf1.png

A 1/4 wave rubber ducky will survive garage doors,etc better. A 5/8 wave or the other high gain antenna offering have phase inductors which can get damaged by tree limbs, garage doors, etc. I vote for a ducky and a 1/2 wave.

First of all, you picked a REALLY nice radio, the 5100 is pretty impressive, and I think you will enjoy its features, specially the "hey, find me and let me know what repeaters are near me" function. I keep mine at home for a base (for DSTAR) and a Yaesu 8900 on the 80.

For antennas, I have 2 on my truck, both NMO mounts. One on top of the roofrack, another on fender mount. The roof rack works very well on the road, but have to remove it for trail rides. I have a small plastic NMO cover used when replacing the roofrack antenna. The fender mount is not ideal, but tree limbs will rip out a roof mount (been there, done that mistake!). The Browning below is very flexible, so good for trails and fender mount. The Comet is a bit better and works great with quadband.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H3DTGE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWYVM94/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom