GX470 Vs FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just asking for opinions and what others have seen on the trail. I have a 1972 FJ40 that is mine for the taking if I want it but it's not running. It was my first car and I learned to drive on it. When I was 18 I bought low mileage YJ Jeep Wrangler and my dad lost interest in the FJ40 when I was no longer at home to work on it with him and I was off being a teenager. It's been setting since 2000 and has no rust but I'm going to need to get it running again and my son is the same age I was when he bought it and we worked on it. On the other hand for around $8-9k I can buy a clean used GX470. I had a 460 and we traded it off for something else for my wife earlier this year. Do you think the GX470/LC120 is as capable as a stock FJ40? I know it's safer, more comfortable, and will probably be cheaper.

In my opinion the 40 might be slightly more capable on tougher trails with a good set of tires.

However, an all-around package would be the gx470. a gx with no sway bars, good tires and some atrac will tackle anything moab has to offer. on top of that, you can drive home 80mph with the windows up and the a/c on and actually hear your music. I cant imagine what its like going on a road trip in an fj40.

Before my gx, I had a triple locked 80...so I know first hand the gx isnt as capable as her brothers. So Im not fully biased. But even the 80 on 33's sucked on longer road trips, especially on mountain trips trying to keep up with normal cars on the way up.

I'm sure if you put this same thread over in the fj40 section you'll get a completely different answer.

Last edited:
Stock VS stock the GX are way more capable. ATRAC is game changer compared to open diff.

I grow up with old FJ. 72 probably doesn't even have power steering. Brake are really marginal. Carburetor that flood all the time. Definitely not more capable.

Totally different if you want to modify it. Engine swap are easy and liftting it might be easier although I have no desire to drive vehicle with leaf spring on all corner.

I giggled when I read the title because I am picking up a 1967 Nissan Patrol to build for more aggressive off-road use. The Nissan Patrol was Nissan's answer to the FJ40 and, because no one knows what a Patrol is, we know which was preferred. I love my GX and it leaves spectators speechless when we complete certain obstacles but.... It is soooo nice and comfortable, I want to build something I am less affectionate about so I can learn more as a driver. Stock to Stock capability?, my money goes to the GX.

In my opinion the 40 might be slightly more capable on tougher trails with a good set of tires.

However, an all-around package would be the gx470. a gx with no sway bars, good tires and some atrac will tackle anything moab has to offer. on top of that, you can drive home 80mph with the windows up and the a/c on and actually hear your music. I cant imagine what its like going on a road trip in an fj40.

Before my gx, I had a triple locked 80...so I know first hand the gx isnt as capable as her brothers. So Im not fully biased. But even the 80 on 33's sucked on longer road trips, especially on mountain trips trying to keep up with normal cars on the way up.

I'm sure if you put this same thread over in the fj40 section you'll get a completely different answer.
Actually they pretty much said the same as you on the 40 forum. I'd love to have an 80, but good ones are a fortune and most have been to the moon an back. Do you regret the GX over the 80?

I giggled when I read the title because I am picking up a 1967 Nissan Patrol to build for more aggressive off-road use. The Nissan Patrol was Nissan's answer to the FJ40 and, because no one knows what a Patrol is, we know which was preferred. I love my GX and it leaves spectators speechless when we complete certain obstacles but.... It is soooo nice and comfortable, I want to build something I am less affectionate about so I can learn more as a driver. Stock to Stock capability?, my money goes to the GX.
First time I saw a Patrol I thought it was a series II rover from the back with a tropic top from a 40. We pulled over to look at it and loved it. Saw one a few years ago setting downtown in a small SE Kansas town that wasn't running. I wonder how hard it will be to get parts for a Patrol in the states. Good luck on the Patrol, very cool. Thanks for the advice on the GX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom