GX470 - ready for upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!
My name is Andy and I finally received the last pieces for a suspension upgrade. I purchased a 2006 GX470 early November of last year. I immediately jumped on the Black Friday sales and purchased a Dobinson’s 2.5 inch lift kit along with their UCAs and differential drop kit. Been sitting on the kit waiting for the UCAs which finally arrived yesterday.
Drove up to Vegas for Thanksgiving with the fams. Drove up to Mammoth a couple weeks ago. Love how smooth the GX drives cruising at 80 mph mashing up the 395.

78ACE400-B64B-492F-AB19-7512DFAE1063.jpeg

This is at Fossil Falls just off the 395. Totally recommend stopping there if you never have. Been to Mammoth a dozen times and finally stopped. Well worth it. The place made me feel like I was at the lava fields in Maui. They even have a picnic and camping area.
69B13AAC-22FF-4293-9054-89636ECCB553.jpeg

That’s my wife standing at the top of centuries old waterfall.
Anyways, I’m ready to get these adventures going in the new rig.
So now I have all this ready to get installed:
4E8028B3-C142-4CD9-8FF7-26450DCE941F.jpeg

DD02BB62-0F03-463A-89EC-78DD892C1D39.jpeg

7B548D45-988C-4E50-B725-0C8101E82055.jpeg

any suggestions on a shop in San Diego county who I could trust? I’ve been to a couple places and the going rate seems to be $100 an hour. But one place told me 4 hrs the other said 6. I have a couple options with friends, one being my regular mechanic. But lift kits aren’t necessarily his specialty.
Thanks for taking a look.

Congrats on the rig!

Any mechanic can do it. It is a straight forward job with no fancy tools required. If you trust your friend, let him do it. I did mine in my driveway. The 2 hardest things are in the front. 1. The Long A$$ bolt for the UCA's. 2. the tiny allen bolt holding the shock adjusters on top of the struts.

Thanks BrickGX and CarolinaGX. Yeah I think I’m going with my friend. He said we can work on it at his shop on a Sunday when no one else is around. I’m sure I can learn something and maybe even get my hands dirty. Thanks for pointing out the 2 things. Definitely keep that in mind

Make this your build thread and post details of your setup like the specific models of shocks, springs, etc.

Also, if you don’t mind, measure your before hub to fender numbers and your after hub to fender numbers and post the information so that others see how much lift you got.

@Meat22 the adjusters aren't bad if you have a spare allen wrench in the right size, then grind down the short side to about half of it's original length and it isn't bad at all.

@Meat22 the adjusters aren't bad if you have a spare allen wrench in the right size, then grind down the short side to about half of it's original length and it isn't bad at all.
Perfect. I’m sure I have
Make this your build thread and post details of your setup like the specific models of shocks, springs, etc.

Also, if you don’t mind, measure your before hub to fender numbers and your after hub to fender numbers and post the information so that others see how much lift you got.
will do 👍🏽

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom