GX470 raptor lights using the "tap a fuse" method (aka add a circuit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Update 12/29/2021: On my 2003, I ended up tapping the a/c-heater fuse #21. The raptor lights turn on when you turn on the air (air conditioned, vented air, heated air). Lights go off when air is off or ignition is off. It looks like 2003-2004 have big fuses blocking access to the seat heater fuse.

Update 1/04/2022: @Gonzdan reports he had no issue tapping fuse #24 seat heater on his 2005. Fuse #24 is the best option if you can tap it. Raptor lights go on when ignition is on. Off when ignition is off. It looks like 2005+ can easily tap the seat heater fuse.

The goal of this post is to gather information and answer basic questions on how to wire the "raptor lights" to the GX470 using the tap-a-fuse (aka add-a-circuit) method. There are a lot of YouTube videos on how to do this, but this is the first time I'm using the tap a fuse method and there's a lot of little details I didn't understand. This post won't focus on the raptor lights themselves, but rather focus on the GX470 details on the tap-a-fuse method.

1. What fuse type does the GX470 use?
There are at least 4 types of fuses that cars use. The GX470 uses the MINI fuse type (aka ATM). I looked at the Lexus web sites to buy new fuses and the Lexus parts sites says MINI for the GX470 fuses.
FuseSizes.jpg

2. Should I tap the engine bay fuse box or the fuse box inside the cabin under the steering wheel?
Since I don't plan to use a switch, I'm going to tap the engine bay fuse box. It seems easier to get to than trying to wire to the fuse box inside of the cabin. Also, the goal is to have the raptor lights turn on and off automatically.

3. Which existing fuse circuit should I tap?
On my 2003, I had a hard time tapping most of the fuses in the fuse box because the wires in my tap-a-circuit connector weren't very flexible and wouldn't bend to fit in most fuse locations. The 2003/2004 has large fuses/relays that other model years might not have. Also, I was trying to avoid tapping fuses that are critical to the operation of the engine.

Update 1/04/2022: It turns out that the engine fuse box varies by year. The 2005 fuse box allows you to easily tap into fuse #24 - seat heater. The 2003/2004 fuse box has a large block of fuses/relays that block access to fuse #24.

On my 2003, I started trying to tap fuse #24 seat heater (best option in my opinion), but my tap-a-fuse connector was blocked by larger fuses. So, I abandoned fuse #24. Instead, I ended up tapping the a/c-heater fuse #21.

My raptor lights are on whenever I have the air on (air conditioned, vented air, heated air). My raptor lights turn off when you turn off the car or you turn off the air. For me, this is good enough. I have the a/c on like 95% of the time, the heated air like 1% of the time, and vented air like 2% of the time. So, my air is on 98% of the time.

I read on the T4R forums that someone tapped a critical circuit like the INJ (multiport fuel injectors) and then their car had issues starting and running. They took it to the dealer to find out what's wrong and the dealer charged a good chunk of money to determine the tap-a-fuse on the INJ circuit was causing the issue. So, tap at your own risk.

If you can tap the seat heater fuse #24, then that's the best option. Raptor lights go on when the ignition is on regardless of seat heater switch. Turns off when ignition is off. You can follow all the same directions in this post whether you tap fuse #21 or fuse #24.

AC_Heater_FuseTap_05.jpg

4. What parts and tools do I need to do this tap-a-fuse?
Parts required:

* ATM or MINI Tap-a-fuse adapter. The most common MINI tap-a-fuse connector on Amazon seems to have a 90-degree angle wire that's a little inflexible at the black plastic and limits your options of where to tap due to issues fitting the wire into the fuse box.
* New MINI 5 Amp fuse (Raptor lights only use like 3 Amps).
* Insulated ring connector to connect the raptor lights ground wire to the body of the GX470 at some bare bolt in the engine bay.

I found a tap-a-fuse kit on Amazon that included 3 MINI tap-a-fuse connectors with wire and a whole bunch of fuses to carry as spares. Kit was like $12. Just search for "car MINI tap-a-fuse kit" and several kits come up. Some are just the MINI tap-a-fuse connector by itself, some include 15 Amp MINI fuses, some add zip ties and fuse extractors. So, pick the one that fits your needs. People have been using MINI fuses ranging from 5 Amps to 15 Amps. Since the raptor lights are LED and draw very little amperes (say 3 Amps), then I'm going to use 5 Amp fuse.
FuseKit.jpg

Tools needed:
* Wire crimping tool to crimp the ends of the tap-a-fuse connector to (a) ring connector to attach to the ground nut on body of car, and (b) raptor lights red wire.
* Zip ties to manage the raptor lights wires going across the grille into the hood cover/padding.
* Optional: Multi-meter or circuit testing device to figure out which direction to connect the tap-a-fuse correctly into the fuse box. Direction matters. Make sure you insert the fuse-tap connector in the right direction. Or just copy someone who tapped the same fuse that you are interested in tapping. I inserted the tap-a-fuse connector to several fuses without any issues, so I was able to try tapping several fuses in both directions until one worked.

5. How to get the raptor lights wire into the engine bay fuse box?
There's an existing opening on one corner of the fuse box, so use that opening to get the wire into the fuse box. This will enable you to tightly put back the fuse box lid like it was intended to prevent water from going in there. So, avoid introducing new gaps/holes into the fuse box.

6. What direction to insert the tap-a-fuse connector onto fuse circuit in the engine bay fuse box?
On the photo of my install, you will see that fuse #21 is in the middle of the fuse box. I pointed the red wire towards the driver's side tire. This allowed me to insert the tap-a-fuse and then curl the wire around a large fuse and towards the existing opening in the engine fuse box. No drilling required. Fuse box lid closes tight without crimping the wire. The wiring should be similar for fuse #24.
TappedRaptorLights.jpg

7. Why is tapping to a fuse a good option?
Seems like an easy and safe option. Fuse #24 is the best option in my opinion, but I couldn’t tap that one due to inflexibility of the wires in my tap a fuse connector. For me, fuse #21 was the only other option that I could get to work. I used a new 5 amp fuse for the raptor lights circuit and it's working great.

If you want your raptor lights to be controlled differently, then try tapping into other fuses like the fog lights, low beam headlights, or the daytime running lights. The raptor lights will turn on/off according to how power is sent to those circuits.

Here's a silent video on the GX470 fuses (doesn't cover year specific differences):

Here are photos of the various model year engine bay fuse boxes. It appears that 2003-2004 have big fuses that block the seat heater fuse. The 2005+ look like it's easy to tap the seat heater fuse. You can see the various engine bay fuse box photos by model year in these posts:
1. 2003-2004 -- See post #17 above by @HomersCanyonero
2. 2005 -- See posts #13 and #14 by @Gonzdan
3. 2006 -- See post #24 by @FROADER
4. 2007-2009 -- post #26 by @CGIB

Last edited:
Very good info here. Once I get around to wiring my ditch lights, I will use this method for wiring the relay. I always wondered what fuses our 470s used. Ive gotten into a habit of just using posi-taps.

Great write up, I just installed my alpha garage grill yesterday and this is by far the easiest most complete explanation and method I've seen so far

Please feel free to post pictures of your tap-a-fuse wiring. I’m still waiting for amazon to deliver mine.

Also, please comment on the tap-a-fuse insertion direction. I’ve found YouTube videos that say direction don’t matter

This is really good. I do have one question though:

My thought would be if you tap the seat heater fuse, the seat heater knobs/switches in the cab are then your on/off switch for the raptor lights. Is that not the case? (Electrical/wiring noob here)
Update 12/29/2021: I couldn't tap the seat heater fuse #24, so I couldn't prove that it works as described below. Also, I tapped the A/C fuse #21 and it works only when the a/c is on. Off when the a/c is off.

Update 1/04/2022: @Gonzdan reports that the seat heater circuit works well:
  1. Turn ignition on…power goes to the seat heater circuit.
  2. Tap-a-fuse gets power for the raptor lights and the seat heater switches
  3. Raptor lights turn on
  4. Seat heaters only turn on if the switch is on. Off if switch is off.
  5. Turn ignition off. Raptor lights and seat heaters go off
  6. Seat heater switch has no impact on raptor lights.

Last edited:
Well, EPIC failure.

First, I could not connect the 90-degree angled tap-a-fuse connector to the seat heater fuse #24. There's not enough room to bend the red wire and the wire hits other larger fuses/relays in the fuse box. This prevents the tap-a-fuse connector from being inserted into many circuits.

Second, direction matters on this tap-a-fuse connector. I had previously removed fuse #33 MAYDAY which told me an annoying message to call a Lexus dealer every time I tuned the car on. I removed the fuse and the message went away.
33MAYDAY7,5Lexus Link System

So, I attempted to tap circuit #33. Inserting the tap-a-fuse connector in the direction that allows the wire to stay inside the fuse box caused the raptor lights to stay on all the time even when the ignition was off. If I reversed the direction of the tap-a-fuse connector, then the lights wouldn't come on at all (probably because I left the original fuse off for the mayday system).

In the end, I connected the tap-a-fuse to circuit #21...the air ventilation system. And it only works when I turn the air fans on (ac, air, heat)!

Since I didn't get to try the seat heater circuit, now I'm wondering if it works the same as the ac circuit...which means the switch turns it on.

I also had difficulty inserting the tap-a-fuse to the headlight circuits.not enough room to bend the wire.

447072AC-68DE-4D32-8859-65631D0A4193.jpeg

21D9B0AA-277E-46F4-989C-2446FBF8A52B.jpeg

E175F699-12C0-4945-9522-752EDCD61932.jpeg

Last edited:
I found this MINI fuse extension wire to tap into hard to get fuses. I haven’t purchased this extension, but something like this is needed to access those hard to reach non-critical fuses.

Since I haven't purchased nor tried this extension, I'm not sure if the 90-degree tap a fuse connector fits into this fuse extension wire.

Anyways, I’m mentioning this extension as a possible way to tap into hard to reach fuses. You might even be able to make your own extended tap a fuse connector to easily tap a hard to access fuse in the fuse box.

The one in the pictures is on Amazon and it's called:

Specialized ECU Repair Car Fuse Holder Connector - Mini ATM, 32V, 20 Amp, 16 Gauge, Red Wire Cable - Comfortably Tap and Test Automotive Circuits, Perfect for Hard To Reach Fusebox Panels - 11.5 Inch

Anyways, this tap-a-fuse wasn't as easy as I thought. I can see why people just tap a critical fuse and it's because they are easy to access and tap with the 90-degree tap a fuse connector.

In the meantime, I'm running mine off the a/c and heater system fuse #21 and it only works when I have the air on...LOL.

All pictures are from Amazon web site to help illustrate the use of this fuse extension wire:

FuseExtension_01.jpg

FuseExtension_02.jpg

FuseExtension_03.jpg

Last edited:
If someone finds a tap-a-fuse that's easier to connect to tight spots in the fuse box, please post a link. I'm going to redact some my statements in this thread to make sure people see that I couldn't tap the seat heater fuse #24 and I don't know exactly how it powers the raptor lights on that circuit.

I ended up using fuse #21 for the air conditioning and heater air. My raptor lights only work when the air vents are on. Off when the air is off. In Los Angeles, this won't be a problem since I drive with the air on all the time.

So, key things to keep in mind when tapping a fuse:
  1. The fuse box is tight and the 90-degree tap-a-fuse connector does NOT fit in most fuses. The wire of the tap-a-fuse gets in the way of other fuses or blocks the fuse box lid from being inserted back on.
  2. Direction of the 90-degree tap-a-fuse connector matters and this presents another problem in terms of fitting the connector/wires into tight spots in the fuse box. If you insert in the wrong direction, the raptor lights stay on even when the ignition is off.
  3. Fuses on circuits that have switches like fuse #21 for the air conditioner and heated air…may be controlled by that switch. So in my case, the raptor lights only go on when the air is on. Off when the air is off or ignition off.

Last edited:
I actually followed your write-up and had no issues lights come on when cars running and off when not. I used the same heated seat fuse with a 90 fuse tap.
Can you post a picture of your tap-a-fuse connector at the engine fuse box? I want to see how it fit on fuse #24 seat heater.

Also, what year is your gx470? Just in case year makes a difference at the fuse box.

Fuse #24 is the best option if you can tap it.

Last edited:
My GX is a 2005, just got it a few months ago, aside for the timing service and replacing every pulley belt and fluid this is the only thing I have done so far

My GX is a 2005, just got it a few months ago, aside for the timing service and replacing every pulley belt and fluid this is the only thing I have done so far
Your engine fuse box is missing a big old fuse/relay that mine has. Let me see what fuse that is...

Last edited:
My 2003 GX470 has a block of large fuse/relay blocking my access. Look at my engine fuse box...I can't tell what that fuse/relay is for. I need to look at the diagram on the lid and I don't have access to the rig right now. My diagram on my computer doesn't list the big fuses/relays.

IMG_7564.jpg

FuseBox_Diagram_01.jpg

Attachments

• GX470_EngineBay_FuseNumbers.pdf
    364.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Just saw you pics again, it's very interesting I dont have any of those 3 big fuses in that location. Maybe it's a 05 change ?

My 2003 GX470 has a large black fuse blocking my access. Look at my engine fuse box...I can't tell what that fuse is for. I need to look at the diagram on the lid and I don't have access to the rig right now. My diagram on my computer doesn't list the big fuses/relays.

View attachment 2884406
My wire is actually running where you have the green, pink and blue large fuses

My wire is actually running where you have the green, pink and blue large fuses
Right. I did a quick search and it turns out that this web site lists the engine fuse box diagram for various years...which leads me to believe there's minor differences across years. Here's what this web site lists as separate engine fuse boxes for years:

1. 2003-2004
2. 2005
3. 2006
4. 2007-2009

Arghhh...so you need to pay attention to your fuse box lid which has your specific fuse mapping. I remember following the engine fuse lid when I was working on my tap-a-fuse and only looking online for additional description of what was on the lid.

As others share their engine fuse photos, we can get an idea of what the differences are across years. So far, we have photos of a 2003 (mine) and 2005 ( @Gonzdan )

If anyone else does the tap-a-fuse, please post photos of your engine fuse box to complete all the model years.

1. 2003-2004 -- See post #17 above by @HomersCanyonero
2. 2005 -- See posts #13 and #14 by @Gonzdan
3. 2006 -- See post #24 by @FROADER
4. 2007-2009 -- post #26 by @CGIB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom