GX470 purchase help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have been thinking of picking up a used GX470 for my better half. I found an '08 with a very good maintenance history until Dec. 2016 when a new "small block' was installed. I called the servicing dealer and they tell me the service description says small block replaced, along with spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, radiator, etc. It has 87k miles and is in really great condition with a clean undercarriage. I asked if the engine was a brand new replacement, and the adviser said yes they don't use refurbished or used replacement engines. So, should I believe the adviser in that they replaced with a new engine? Should I run the other direction? Or, is this GX essentially like new with a new engine, TB, WP, and other affected parts? It runs great, and again its very clean inside and out. The manager drove it as a demo for the last 2k miles. I have talked them down to $17,500 and put a deposit on it to hold it pending further investigation. I have never owned a GX470, but own a LX470 along with my LC. So, any advice or insight would greatly be appreciated. Thanks fellow members.

I seriously doubt Lexus would even THINK about putting a used engine in a vehicle. I am sure the previous owner paid a pretty penny to have that done.

With that said, I would be a little nervous about how well the engine was put back together. I am sure the technicians at Lexus are good, but are they THAT good?

I seriously doubt Lexus would even THINK about putting a used engine in a vehicle. I am sure the previous owner paid a pretty penny to have that done.

With that said, I would be a little nervous about how well the engine was put back together. I am sure the technicians at Lexus are good, but are they THAT good?

Great points, and duly noted. Yeah, the new engine is appealing as they replaced associated parts as well. I like that the TB, WP, radiator, etc. were replaced. BUT, I can only assume Lexus techs are not well rehearsed will replacing complete engines as they honestly can't do it very often you know? At a $17500 price point, the appeal is essentially a brand new engine and parts in a body and frame that are in excellent condition. But, will I ever have piece of mind knowing my better half is driving a GX that had this replacement done? I may be better off just being patient and continuing to search.

I am assuming by small block they are referring to the short block and rotating assembly. This would be an uncommon place for a 2uz to fail, but you never know, they may have spun a rod bearing. Maybe a cap let go and put a rod through the side of the block, who knows. So they either unbolted the heads and swapped them to a new short block, or what they really meant was they put a new long block in it. Either way this wouldn't concern me much.

What makes you think the Lexus technicians aren't rehearsed at replacing engines ? I bet if you were to ask you would find out that each one of the guys turning wrenches in back are all certified mechanics. Honestly taking the heads off of one motor and swapping to another isn't rocket science. If you are mechanically inclined and know how to read a service manual you can do just about anything.

Also, they will almost certainly have put a brand new OEM short block in it. If you were to look hard enough you could probably find the 10 digit PN and price one out yourself.

As a former Toyota technician I would echo half k's comment. There is no reason why a certified Lexus technician could not handle a short block replacement. Yes, it's uncommon for a dealership technician to REBUILD short block these days but rest assured, it would not be beyond the scope of their skill set. Also, keep in mind that any labor, parts and sublet work is covered by a warranty should any issues related to the engine repairs arise.

Last edited:
Thanks @half k cruiser and @lndshark for you responses. I feel much better about the situation and yes, I meant they replaced the short block. Is it fair to believe that they did have to change the TB, WP, plugs, etc. when this did this job?

Well, they woudn't "have to" assuming this was a customer-paid job. However, my opinion is that the service department likely HIGHLY RECOMMENDED a new timing belt, water pump, etc be replaced in conjunction with the block assembly. Do you have the VIN? You can sign up with Lexus Owners online and look at the dealer services that were performed. Maybe that will go into a bit more detail on the extent of the recent repairs.

Well, they woudn't "have to" assuming this was a customer-paid job. However, my opinion is that the service department likely HIGHLY RECOMMENDED a new timing belt, water pump, etc be replaced in conjunction with the block assembly. Do you have the VIN? You can sign up with Lexus Owners online and look at the dealer services that were performed. Maybe that will go into a bit more detail on the extent of the recent repairs.

Thanks and yes, I did look it up on the Lexus owners site but it only showed the short block replacement. I was hoping it was more informative.

Is the dealer local to you? I doubt they'd turn you away if you went in looking for more comprehensive information on the repair. Lexus dealers are very accommodating.

Is the dealer local to you? I doubt they'd turn you away if you went in looking for more comprehensive information on the repair. Lexus dealers are very accommodating.

No, I wish. It sure would make things easier.

Call up the service manager at the servicing dealer and ask if they would discuss the service history of a customer's vehicle that you are considering purchasing. I'm sure they would be happy to take a few moments to give you additional information. You don't have to disclose that you aren't local and to them, you are a potential customer.

Thanks @half k cruiser and @lndshark for you responses. I feel much better about the situation and yes, I meant they replaced the short block. Is it fair to believe that they did have to change the TB, WP, plugs, etc. when this did this job?

They aren't going to stick a brand new short block in there and re-use the old water pump, timing belt, or plugs. Especially not if the owner at the time was willing to spend the money on a new block. Same goes for warranty work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom