GX470 lift kit in the front with longer airbag in the rear ( airbagman). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning/afternoon everyone.
Im trying to lift my 2006 GX470 (88k miles), while maintain/keep the nice and smooth ride , I don't do off road at all.

I was thinking of getting Bilstein 5100 or Eibach pro shocks.
If I would go with Bilstein 5100, this would be the setup

- lift the front with Bilstein 5100's (set to the 2nd notch)
ToyTec 3" (FJ/4Runner) lift coils (Eibach 112620).
Im trying to get 2.75 or 2.5" of lift in the front.
-lift the rear with Airbagman ( 2" taller airbag) along with Bilstein.

My questions are,
- First, what the part# for the Bilstein 5100 ( front and rear),I had read that Bilstein 5100's for an FJ were "a couple inches longer". so which one is more suitable for the GX470?

- Second , any of you guys has experience with the above setup , Bilstein 5100 along with Eibach 112620 spring , or the Eibach pro with the Eibach springs, hows the ride ?

- lastly, what you guys think, Bilstein5100 vs Eibach pro ? Why ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Omar

I read your post but I don’t have experience with these products.

My only comment is that on paper the 620 lbs/in front spring rate on these Eibach coils sounds ideal for a GX470 with stock weight.

however, these front coils are a little on the shorter side compared to the 600 lbs/in front coil overs that come with the Bilstein 6112s front shocks.

So, you have to place them on a higher perch on the shock.

I just removed my stock oem rear air springs, so I’m curious to see how you like your ride with the extra long air springs/bags.

Try to stay with the same brand of shocks in front and rear or make sure the shock valving is compatible. I didn’t like the ride as soon as I changed the rear to OME rear shocks while the front stayed with Bilstein 6112s.

I read your post but I don’t have experience with these products.

My only comment is that on paper the 620 lbs/in front spring rate on these Eibach coils sounds ideal for a GX470 with stock weight.

however, these front coils are a little on the shorter side compared to the 600 lbs/in front coil overs that come with the Bilstein 6112s front shocks.

So, you have to place them on a higher perch on the shock.

I just removed my stock oem rear air springs, so I’m curious to see how you like your ride with the extra long air springs/bags.

Try to stay with the same brand of shocks in front and rear or make sure the shock valving is compatible. I didn’t like the ride as soon as I changed the rear to OME rear shocks while the front stayed with Bilstein 6112s.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my thread.
I just placed the order for the taller airbags today but im still debating on what shocks i should go with. I narrowed it down to Dobinson and Eibach .
Will keep you posted.
Thanks

FWIW I currently run Bilstein 5100 on my front and rear. I re-used stock springs and stock rear airbags. I run the 5100 on the second from lowest perch setting and the reality is that raised my ride height by about 1.5. My car is perfectly lever front to rear now. Ride comfort is great.

I just installed them today and I love how my Rig rides ( just as smooth as the stock airbags ).

I ordered them from this website ( from Australia) , it cost me $500 shipped to my house (US)
Airbag Man .
IMG_20200117_135711427.jpg

Did u need to replace your upper mounts, bumpstops, or anything else? I assume you had to reset your air adjuster?
Joh
Did u need to replace your upper mounts, bumpstops, or anything else? I assume you had to reset your air adjuster?

Ed , i answered you your message/conversation but i will answer you here as well because I had problem to upload the instructions photos/PDF file, so I attached the instructions PDF file here.

Hey Ed,
Here are the installation instructions ( check the attachment). honestly I took it to a local shop which charged me $200 ( for installing the airbagsman and replaced the rear shocks). The same shop charged $200 for replacing the front shocks only on 2014 Tundra . So that means , its pretty easy to install the airbagsman bags ( since they charged me $200)

I went with Dobinson shocks.
The ride is pretty much the same as the stock.

Good luck
Let me know if you have any question.

Attachments

• WOA6011INS_v7.pdf
    621.4 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
I'm interested in something similar. I like the idea of keeping the leveling feature while upgrading the front coilovers and rear shocks while gaining ~2". Have you done any testing off-road? Are you able to use the high position without issue? Did you need to replace anything else in the back besides the bags and shocks?

FWIW, I'm planning to do the same but at standard height. Also running Bilstein 5100s (24-239370_33-187174) with standard springs up front (no winch or bumper yet). Ordering Airbagman SKU: OA6011S. Just waiting on updated quote and shipping estimate. Will report back when work is complete.

Needed to keep the airbags as I frequently haul dirtbikes on a hitch rack and want to keep the self-leveling. Assuming for the +2" setup above you need to install a 2" spacer on the sensor? Not sure if the Airbagman kit comes with that spacer bracket, but I feel like it should.

FWIW, I'm planning to do the same but at standard height. Also running Bilstein 5100s (24-239370_33-187174) with standard springs up front (no winch or bumper yet). Ordering Airbagman SKU: OA6011S. Just waiting on updated quote and shipping estimate. Will report back when work is complete.

Needed to keep the airbags as I frequently haul dirtbikes on a hitch rack and want to keep the self-leveling. Assuming for the +2" setup above you need to install a 2" spacer on the sensor? Not sure if the Airbagman kit comes with that spacer bracket, but I feel like it should.
The kit comes with the spacer to create the lift. Mine was $570 shipped for the 2" lift kit a few months back.

GX lifted.jpg

Last edited:
The kit comes with the spacer to create the lift. Mine was $570 shipped for the 2" lift kit a few months back.
Fantastic. Any idea if I can install the longer bags, but keep the standard bracket and therefore the standard ride height for now? I have a low clearance garage, and can't lift the truck until I move? That is, do the +2" airbags compress as far as the stock airbags?

You'll need to reach out to airbag man for that question. They're available on aus time, but are responsive to emails as well.

I like this set up.. im new to gx and im not going to get crazy offroad and would like to keep the airbag for comfortable ride.. im just looking at 2” lift ir maybe less, is this the ideal set up? Thanks in advance!

If you want to keep factory air this is the simplest way. If you love to tinker you can also do a coil conversion with firestone bags in the coils and connect that to your air system but its not plug and play by any means

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom