GX470 Coil conversion - rear airbags (isolators necessary?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

My airbags are dying. I picked up a set of 2021 4Runner TRD-OR springs in anticipation of this (220K on my 2004GX.)

My question is - are the spring isolators necessary for the conversion? What are the pros and cons? I see MetalTech sells a kit for $90 without, or $280 with the isolators. I'm a bit cash strapped at the moment, so the $90 option is definitely more appealing. Could I add the isolators later (I assume yes.)

I don't do any crazy offroading with my GX, mostly towing my travel trailer, but I would like to be ready for whatever comes my way.

Do I need/want the isolators bad enough to pay the extra $$? Thanks!

The toyota isolators do two things. One is to prevent metal on metal of the coil with the frame. Two is to help cushion a hard drop.

People look for them in the junk yard off a 4Runner or there are some aftermarket ones that are cheaper. Or look for used ones in FB marketplace, Craigslist, or eBay

Yes they are necessary top and bottom.

I see MetalTech sells a kit for $90 without, or $280 with the isolators.

At one point in time, it was hard to source new isolators from Toyota, hence the separate options. You can definitely get them cheaper used as @HomersCanyonero said -- If I recall correctly, there was some talk on this forum of a compatible upper isolator from a Jeep too.

You can get non-OEM isolators from Ironman for $115 for a pair:

These came with my Foam Cell Pro lift kit and I used them on my GX470 (same part number for a 460). They seemed pretty beefy - no issues so far.

As others mentioned you are definitely going to want them to avoid the metal-on-metal contact at the spring-to-frame contact. Additionally, they will help as a bump stop when you towing and have more weight riding on the rear axle.

They also add a little bit of lift, about 1”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom