GX470-Anyone regret mounting spare on rear door? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to decide on mounting spare on back door ? (33”),
..and does anybody really use those rear ladders? They do look cool though.

I’m trying to decide on mounting spare on back door ? (33”),
..and does anybody really use those rear ladders? They do look cool though.
I had a specific purpose for my Gobi ladder and that’s to carry up to two 3-gal rotopax fuel containers.

I didn’t want an aftermarket rear bumper nor a roof rack. I wanted to carry gas outside the GX, so thats the main purpose for my ladder.

I also carry a skinny 255/75R17 in the spare location on a FJC steel rim 17x7.5.

My 285s on 17x9 wheels are now half worn and about as short as the never used 255 spare.

So, I guess the 255 is my version of an off-road donut! and fully inflated it’s about the same size as my 285s

No regrets. I have the dissent off-road bumper with swing outs.

053FB802-24D2-4425-A2E9-2F558A719508.jpeg

D005EAEC-F7B4-430E-9118-F6D2E57383BD.jpeg

I have the JW offroad mount and no regrets. As solid as day one.
I do wish @ExpeditionOne would build a rear bumper with the swing out that attaches to door like the FJ. I’d be in line for one if they did.

A friend of mine had a very very early JW mount and regretted it since it rattled really bad on his truck. I'm sure they've improved since then but when his first GX470 got totaled on the street by a drunk driver overnight he didn't get another one. If you're not planning on taking your truck on some hardcore offroad trails then its a better option than a real bumper IMO

A friend of mine had a very very early JW mount and regretted it since it rattled really bad on his truck. I'm sure they've improved since then but when his first GX470 got totaled on the street by a drunk driver overnight he didn't get another one. If you're not planning on taking your truck on some hardcore offroad trails then its a better option than a real bumper IMO
To be fair, I do not wheel mine hardcore. So if someone is, their experience could be different. It’s very solid. But that metal will only last so long when beaten on.

Convenient wise, rear door mounted is the best. I really one one but cannot get anybody to make the offset one. I don't like center mounted as it eats too much precious real estate for other stuff. Plus they are known to damage the rear door. If you put 35" tire they can weight 90-115 lbs.

Most of the rear tire carrier are not convenient to open and close. It really annoying if it makes opening the rear hatch a chore. I end up making my own. It's very light compared to full bumper but still weight about 90 lbs including the rear tube protector. I use double door latch that is commonly used for hot rod to make it one step open and close.
IMG_20220524_183351__01.jpg

https://www.restlessoffroad.com/ might be able to help you. They are also having black friday sale now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom