GX460 Power Steering Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would like some advice on my current situation. The 2014 GX manual recommends either Dexron II or Dexron III ATF for the power steering system. After doing some research, I was not able to find actual Dexron II or Dexron III labeled fluid. I ended up getting two quarts of the Amsoil OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid to do a flush and fill. After removing the old fluid from the reservoir with a hand pump, I attempted to remove the return line to start the flush process. After 30 minutes of trying to remove the old rubber hose, it started to crack on the edge so I aborted the mission. I did a couple fluid adds, turn the wheel lock to lock for circulation, remove fluid, and then add more new Amsoil fluid.

How worried do I need to be about mixing the new full synthetic Amsoil with whatever was in the system prior to attempted flush and fill? Is there a better process for getting the hose off without destroying it in the process? My attempts were as follows:

1) Remove the clamp and pull hard with wiggling.
2) Use a large screw driver to try and get the hose over barb of the reservoir.
3) Use a small screw drive inside of the edge of the hose to get it over the barb.

Thanks for the help!

71nO6-xdGgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I just did the turkey baster method over the course of many drives. In the end was less hassle for me than trying to do a flush. I used Valvoline like above. You aren't the first to abort that attempt.

Last edited:
Also running Valvoline per above. I was able to remove my return line easily so I was able to flush most of the old fluid. I wouldn't worry much about mixing fluids in a PS system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom