Gx460 Dobinsons MRA settings and why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is very subjective and based on personal preference for ride feel and quality. Most of what I have found and read is for LS/HS adjustments and not much on the rebound. At first I hadn’t set any rebound and just used the other settings at about 1/2 way in front for both and 3/4 of the total for rear. I have 701vxhd coils in the real and they are a little on the bouncy side with less than optimal weight and with lesser settings. Once I started looking into the settings I found the front rebound was installed all the way up or at the highest setting and the rear was at 0 or the lowest it could go. I then found the dobinsons literature on the mra and settings recommended or suggested. So then changed my settings to start there and see what changes. Amazingly I now have the LS/HS at 5 and the rebound at 1.5. The rear is LS 5 / HS 8 and rebound at 7. Was shocked to see the rebound minuscule adjustment made such a difference. This is based on the prado 150 setttings. Having just taken a trip to Moab I found the LS to be just fine for crawling and the HS firm enough for HS dirt roads, ledge drops or coming off obstacles without bottoming out and hitting anything under the vehicle. It also did great on road with the HS set where it was and I maybe could increase a little for body roll but it wasn’t bad and never felt unnerving. I am running 3” lift with long travel, full steel skids and sliders. So this is my question to you, what are your settings and why? How does it handle on road and do you change for Offroad? Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts and experiences.

I don't have MRA but always a fan of adjustable suspension. They are awesome but definitely need to understand how they work. Set wrong they would perform worse than non adjustable shock.

You are using long travel rear with KDSS? I heard the cylinder are too short and it would be stretched too far and damaged it? How do you fix this issue?

Rebound should be matched to the spring and should not need to be touched again. It should prevent bounce but should still allow tire to drop down fast enough not to lose traction. It control the inside tire from extending too fast during cornering. Leaving it on softest setting most likely not give the best ride as the suspension might too out too easily.

I don't have MRA but always a fan of adjustable suspension. They are awesome but definitely need to understand how they work. Set wrong they would perform worse than non adjustable shock.

You are using long travel rear with KDSS? I heard the cylinder are too short and it would be stretched too far and damaged it? How do you fix this issue?

Rebound should be matched to the spring and should not need to be touched again. It should prevent bounce but should still allow tire to drop down fast enough not to lose traction. It control the inside tire from extending too fast during cornering. Leaving it on softest setting most likely not give the best ride as the suspension might too out too easily.
I do have the kdss spacer kit as it was recommended with this set up by some that also run it.

Once I discovered that the front was set at the highest setting when installed I, then started adjusting it. Started at 1.5, then ran at 2 and even 3. It did make a difference with how fast or slow it kicked up after hitting sharp bumps or dips. They each had a different feel and am still trying to find the right one for me. We do have some rough roads and some crazy up and down on the highways so you’re hitting them at speed. You’re right that too soft can cause the vehicle to skip and loose traction and slide out from under you. Im trying to get both front and back to behave the same way or as close as possible. So the whole vehicle settles the same rather than the front settling and rear kicking up or bouncing or the other way around. Not feel every bump but handle the harsh ones without loosing control. Again I think I’m close with the way I’m set up but still tinkering.

Following this since I think MRA's are next on the mod list upon wife approval.

Highly adjustable shock kits are usually meant to accommodate multiple spring rates and not just personal preference so you need to find the objective damping range for your springs/vehicle setup and then adjust within that for personal preference. It shouldn't take very many "clicks" to make a difference once you are in the right range for the springs. I would suggest changing one attribute at a time so you get a feel for how that actually affects the shock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom