GX460 Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 2018 @ 29,000 miles I've lubed the propshafts, changed transmission fluid and a regular oil/filter change. In the spring of 2021 I'll service the diffs, T case, brakes. Maybe swap out the serpentine belt for a new one so I have a spare. Guessing by then I'll be in the 35-37,000 mile range. Hoping the economy settles a bit and I feel more confident about spending money on new gears and lockers.

I wanted to give an update... I changed the Transfer case fluid at 34,000 miles and it looked new. I'd recommend waiting a little longer for a change on that.

I can't say the same about the differential and transmission fluid. They were pretty nasty.

Will

What fluid did you use for the transfer case? I am debating between the Ravenol and expensive OEM stuff.

Diff fluid change after another 30k miles. Not nearly as bad as the first change. (31k)

FYI. We do a fair amount of towing and off road travel.

6ECB102D-1316-4100-8D71-33CB8BD41959.jpeg

Mine was gross after one year and 15K. I'm thinking it's due to lots of creek crossings, despite having extended differential breathers. From now on I'm using cheaper fluid and changing it every single year - it's only a $50 job using Valvoline Conventional 80W90.

Never had an issue with prior service removal but last year replaced the front diff drain plug with this 24mm one from KAON to remove any chance there would be one in the future.

KS0127.jpg

KS0127.jpg

COMPATIBLE WITH TOYOTA MODELS:

• HiLux KUN26
  • LandCruiser LC200
  • Prado 90 / 120 / 150
  • FJ Cruiser
  • Tacoma

You can also get a plug for an IS250 from Lexus that will work as well. It has a 14 mm external hex head. My plug was stuck after one year and took everything my Milwaukee mid-torque had to remove it. Amazing it didn't strip the 10 mm hex portion of the plug. I helped a buddy change the diff fluid in his Tundra and the plug stripped instantly and we had to weld a 10 mm hex key into the plug to get it out. I had put my 14 mm plug in his Tundra and then bought 2 more for myself so I can replace both the fill and drain plugs with the external hex style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom